Text column support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and other multi-byte text encodings (variable width encodings)

j7n

Text column support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and other multi-byte text encodings (variable width encodings)

Post by j7n »

I have found two nice freeware programs that can prove useful for examining Unicode text in files: TinyHexer and EditPad.

TinyHexer has classic Unicode for executable files and other files of Windows origin, with an odd limitation that requires the input to have even number of bytes.

EditPad can work in many encodings, preview very large files with text in them quickly, and, while being a text editor, it does not corrupt the file when cutting or retyping parts of it (at least in the common encodings I tried). The paid professional version has an 8-bit only hex editor, which I've not found special. Its custom text rendering is very configurable, with any font, has no problems with fonts randomly switching on special symbols, and the right-to-left feature can be disabled. Clear, professional looking UI that imitates Microsoft Office. As it is a text editor, editing still has the effect of changing the length, and one has to count bytes added (Pro version can show the current offset on the status bar).
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Text column support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and other multi-byte text encodings (variable width encodings)

Post by Maël »

As this is offtopic to HxD, and not really helping its development I moved this.
j7n

Re: Text column support for UTF-8, UTF-16 and other multi-byte text encodings (variable width encodings)

Post by j7n »

Sorry about that. I didn't consider that I was on a competing product's page. Maybe is worth deleting the post then.