HxD becomes an unkillable zombie when run from the command line

Bug reports concerning HxD.
bluestreak

HxD becomes an unkillable zombie when run from the command line

Post by bluestreak »

When run from the command line on a file, e.g. "hxd file.dat", HxD throws up an error dialog:

"Runtime error 217 at 00..0423FB7"

Closing this or killing the HxD process from the Task Manager results in it immediately respawning and throwing up another dialog. The only way to actually kill it is to restart Windows. This has occurred for several versions of HxD.
Richard

Re: HxD becomes an unkillable zombie when run from the command line

Post by Richard »

I also get the exact same error when running HxD from a folder (A:\HXD\) (via Windows 10 Explorer)

For some unknown reason to me, Windows Task Manager is not successful in Ending this Task (HxD) - the error message just pops up again after 1 second (I did not have this problem with version 2.3 which I had just upgraded from).
bluestreak

Re: HxD becomes an unkillable zombie when run from the command line

Post by bluestreak »

Just tried it with the latest version and the bug is still present. One thing I've noticed is that if HxD is run from a world-writeable directory then the crash doesn't occur, it's only if it's run from a standard directory off /Program Files, i.e. which requres admin privs to mess with after the program install completes, that it becomes a zombie. So it could be a problem with it mishandling permissions.

In order to kill it, you need to rename the executable to something other than HxD.exe, at which point it can't respawn any more. Once you close the error window, you can then delete the renamed file to stop it respawning endlessly.