Fixed in SVN: HxD: Find Updates

Bug reports concerning HxD.
rbon

Fixed in SVN: HxD: Find Updates

Post by rbon »

Hi Maël,
I use HxD v1.7.6.6 with a PC that is in a LAN and when I need to use internet with I.Explorer or Firefox, the proxy require my authentication:
- my username
- my password
I have tried to check for updates and program return this message:
"HxD version checking
An error occurred while loading the version information!
'<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4' is not a valid integer value." (this message appears with portable version: english and italian).
.... but if I try with a PC that do not require proxy, HxD work well and tell me a message: no updates are available (or similar).
Do You can browse Your source code for fix this problem?
Thank You
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: Find Updates

Post by Maël »

Hi rbon,
Whoops, I'm sorry, I missed this topic.

I'll see what I can do, currently though, I have no system with such a setup, so it's difficult to test.

In general if you have setup Internet Explorer such that it has all the information for you proxy it should work.

Regards, Maël
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Could you tell me more precisely how you setup your proxy so I can make a similar setup here? Usually it is enough if you setup Internet Explorer appropriately then HxD will work, too.
rbon

Post by rbon »

Hi Maël,
Could you tell me more precisely how you setup your proxy
My Internet Explorer use -> Connections -> LAN setup -> Server Proxy (IP address and port number).

So I suggest You to browse another program that I use: RJ TextEd editor:
- web site: http://www.rj-texted.se/
- download page: http://www.rj-texted.se/download.htm
- direct download portable build: http://www.rj-texted.se/downloads/RJ_Te ... l_Beta.zip

Please -> start 'RJ TextEd' -> Environment -> Add-ons -> Proxy settings -> create this dialog box for HxD.

Also:
1. I have ask to sysadmin to temporary remove proxy (direct access from a PC of LAN to Web) and HxD work well ...
(HxD build nr. 1.7.6.6 is the last at this moment).
2. If LAN settings are stored in Internet Explorer (IP address and port number) the HxD user DO NOT write inside this dialog box
the IP address of 'Proxy server' item, but only it username and password for autenthication.
When it start HxD Instead of IE) program read:
- Proxy IP address from IE
- username and password from HxD

I can try new build (with Proxy settings).
Regards
Renzo
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I made some adjustments. Now it should pop up a dialog box if your proxy needs your username and password.

Here is the current development version: http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxD.zip

It is in German, but the proxy-dialog is from Windows so should be in your native language. Just choose "?|Updates suchen..." after running HxD.

Does it work?
rbon

Post by rbon »

It is in German, but the proxy-dialog is from Windows so should be in your native language. Just choose "?|Updates suchen..." after running HxD.
Your program display:
- Installierte Version 1.8.0.0 alpha
- Aktuelle version 1.7.6.6
Also check for updaters work well. :D

BTW
1. This solution work because first 2 (two) Proxy settings (IP address and port number) are loaded when Windows start (or restart), even if You do not launch Internet Explorer (or another browser with proxy settings)
2. If a PC stay inside a LAN with proxy and this PC do not have a browser, this solution won't work because first 2 (two) proxy settings are not loaded and You cannot put these settings inside HxD.

This beta is a good work!
Thank You
Renzo
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

rbon wrote:2. If a PC stay inside a LAN with proxy and this PC do not have a browser, this solution won't work because first 2 (two) proxy settings are not loaded and You cannot put these settings inside HxD.
In the control panel of Windows there is an icon called "Internet Options". If you set the proxy options there does it work?
The idea is to use central settings if possible, as I personally (as a user) find it annoying to setup each program individually if they could share the settings.
rbon wrote: This beta is a good work!
Thanks,
Maël
rbon

Post by rbon »

Maël wrote:
In the control panel of Windows there is an icon called "Internet Options". If you set the proxy options there does it work?
Yes, HxD 'Update suchen' work with proxy settings.
Then I have un-checked "Internet Options" (IE can access directly to web) and I have tried again: 'Update suchen' work!

Also HxD Update search work both with proxy settings and without proxy setting: update feature work always.
Last edited by rbon on 06 Mar 2009 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Ok, the fix will be available in the next release (not in the upcoming bug-fix release because it depends on some other changes which aren't ready for a stable release).