Cannot reproduce: Search does not work after opening file

Bug reports concerning HxD.
takasuite

Cannot reproduce: Search does not work after opening file

Post by takasuite »

Sometimes, i used hot key ( Ctrl + O, Ctrl + F ), nothing happen,

But I click Icon ( Open File ), Search-->Find, It works

i can modify some bytes byte keyboard, All change to new values.

i don't know it is a bug or not.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Search does not work after opening file

Post by Maël »

Please tell me your OS and be more precise in your bug description, as it is now I cannot reproduce.
Sometimes, i used hot key ( Ctrl + O, Ctrl + F ), nothing happen,
What doesn't happen? The search dialog dosesn't show, the search doesn't find anything...
Do you use only the keyboard or also the mouse? Do you select the file with the mouse, do you confirm using the mouse or the keyboard, ... It's probably a bug for a special case, so I need the detailed steps.

Thanks, Maël
swenjohnson

Post by swenjohnson »

I've seen this happen, too when using the shortcuts (Ctrl+O and Ctrl+F). The symptom is that the "Find" dialog does appear, but any kind of search (Text, Hex, etc) just fails - an "Information" dialog appears saying "Can't find foo".

This happened every time, until I found this post and tried using the "Open Folder" dialog and "Search" menu item, which seems to work every time. Now, the problem with the shortcuts seems to be intermittent.

Windows 7 Pro, SP1
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I still couldn't reproduce this bug, unfortunately.

Maybe some of the other bug fixes over time addressed it.
HxD 2.0 RC:
https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetup.zip

If not, it would be really helpful to provide detailed step by step instructions: what was clicked in which order, if a file was opened with the mouse and how (ctrl+o to open the dialog, but what then? Do you continue with the mouse or the keyboard to actually select the file), and similar details.
Details such as that probably matter. Maybe also the order of files that were open, or if a search was performed in another file before.

In the end I assume that somehow the new file is opened but it's not the right window that gets activated, so if that file does not contain the search phrase, nothing is found. Maybe it's also a window focusing issue.