Cannot reproduce: Vertical bar on the right side of HxD's window

Bug reports concerning HxD.
zeromido

Cannot reproduce: Vertical bar on the right side of HxD's window

Post by zeromido »

The problem is in both v1.7.7 and v2.0
Steps to reproduce:
1. Start HxD. Restore HxD's window if it started maximized.
2. Quickly drag either the right or the left border of HxD's window back-and-forth.

Another way to reproduce:
1. Start HxD. Restore HxD's window if it started maximized.
2. Open a file or click New.
3. Maximize HxD's window.

Screenshots:

HxD before opening a file
qBdXTOi.png
qBdXTOi.png (48.85 KiB) Viewed 13251 times
HxD after opening a file
K3k38qh.png
K3k38qh.png (58.8 KiB) Viewed 13251 times
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Vertical bar on the right side of HxD's window

Post by Maël »

Hmm, interesting. The last one is always reproducible on your machine? Or just sometimes?
In the two screenshots the windows are maximized both times, is that intentional (your steps say otherwise)?

I see this black border here sometimes, but that's just a delay in drawing caused by Windows and usually disappears very quickly (or isn't visible at all).
zeromido

Post by zeromido »

I'm so sorry for the late response. I have no excuses :roll: But well, better late than never :mrgreen:
always reproducible on your machine?
Yes.
is that intentional?
Probably not intentional. I guess messed up the screenshot :oops:.
usually disappears very quickly (or isn't visible at all).
The border that appears when resizing the window disappears very quickly but it always appears. The bar that appears when opening a file doesn't disappear, though.

I found the exact same "issue" in WinMerge! Come to think of it, HxD and WinMerge have a very similar interface. Other software only have the resizing border like Sysinternals Process Explorer.

Also, the bar is not always black. It's white when resizing and no file is open, black when resizing and a file is open (or when maximizing after opening a file), or gray when opening a file in maximized.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I tested it again under Windows 7 with Aero enabled. The black border on the side, when you resize from the right, is visible. This is normal and because of how Windows is slow about updating MDI childs / the MDI client. WinMerge is also a MDI application, that's why you may notice the same issue.

But I still can't reproduce the second issue, where the black border stays.

What I do:
  1. Open HxD in restored mode
  2. Click the new icon on the toolbar
  3. Maximize the window
I forgot the maximize step first, but even after adding it it doesn't happen. Sure the black border is not just the screen frame? :p just kidding.

Does this "black border after maximizing error" happen in WinMerge as well, or only during the quick continuous mouse-drag resizing?

Did you try it with the latest version of HxD, and deleted the ini file first? (Maybe it gets triggered by some special setting.)

Maybe you have some system tool or customization tool installed that hooks into some Windows' APIs?

Lastly, maybe a video could help reproduce this.
zeromido

Post by zeromido »

Okay... I'm really :oops: right now... :lol:
The "bug" went poof... just like that! For the second time! Remember the Ctrl + Scroll thing?
It's like my computer became self-conscious and decided to do some pranks on me and embarrass me online. :lol:
But honestly, I'm really sorry about this. I will not report any kind of those trivial bugs unless I test it on at least two computers.
Of course, the same poof can happen but this is sure to make them happen less.
Attachments
POOF!.png
POOF!.png (49.8 KiB) Viewed 13122 times
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Maybe it's some kind of tool or driver issue?

Thanks for informing me of the current state. If you ever figure out what triggers the issue, let me know :)