Disassembly feature as a 3rd party extendable plug-in?

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
GregC

Disassembly feature as a 3rd party extendable plug-in?

Post by GregC »

The Intel dissasembler is a nice feature!

I'm currently working with some Motorola MC6809 code, and can see how awesome this would be to have 6809 dissassembly support, especially when doing file compares and analysing the differences.

I noted someone else had requested MC68000 disassembler support. And of course there would be many others interested in other ISA's. For me right now, 6502 would be great too. :-)

Given the size of the task in trying to integrate and maintain wider support, my feature request would be for you to instead consider how you could implement the DIsassembly feature as an externally defined plug-in. eg. Using descriptor files of some sort.

Perhaps a CPU descriptor file could contain a table of opcode bytes (or binary sequences) with specific wildcard characters for which the actual binary values are hex encoded and substituted into an associated Assembly code string that represents the matching byte / binary sequence.
The writer of each descriptor file could ensure that the codes are in a diminishing binary match sequence, so that HxD's interpretation would be simply first binary/wildcard sequence match.

Just my 2c thinking out loud. But I'm sure you get where I'm going with that?

An "externally defined plug-in" Disassembly approach would mean that contributors could independantly create and maintain (if required) a growing library of supported CPU opcode disassemblers. I suspect this would be a very nice, powerful, and differentiating feature for HxD.

Maël
Site Admin

Re: Disassembly feature as a 3rd party extendable plug-in?

Post by Maël »

Hi,

The other feature request stopped progressing, because of license incompatibilities of the suggested source code.

But there is a plugin framework since a while!
https://github.com/maelh/hxd-plugin-framework

You could easily add another disassembler this way. Let me know you think.

GregC

Re: Disassembly feature as a 3rd party extendable plug-in?

Post by GregC »

Maël wrote:
09 Oct 2020 12:34
But there is a plugin framework since a while!
https://github.com/maelh/hxd-plugin-framework

You could easily add another disassembler this way. Let me know you think.
Thanks for pointing this out. Being new around here, I hadn't discovered the plugin framework as yet.
Sounds like fun. So I'll add a task to my projects list, to remind me to look into this further. :-)