Feature: Add Half (float16) to data inspector

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
imadewins

Feature: Add Half (float16) to data inspector

Post by imadewins »

As the title says, this would be a super handy feature and be easy to add... (IEEE 754)
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Feature: Add Half (float16) to data inspector

Post by Maël »

Will not be easy (since I need to make a special decoder for float16 to string values and back -- this doesn't come by default in most languages).

But should be well documented and useful.

P.S.: What would you need it for? I mostly know of float16 being used in deep learning, but I don't see why you'd need a hex editor for that.
imadewins

Post by imadewins »

Maël wrote: 09 Apr 2019 05:19 Will not be easy (since I need to make a special decoder for float16 to string values and back -- this doesn't come by default in most languages).

But should be well documented and useful.

P.S.: What would you need it for? I mostly know of float16 being used in deep learning, but I don't see why you'd need a hex editor for that.
3D models and compressed binary animation formats use half precision floats all the time to save space, would be super helpful as I use HxD all the time for viewing the binary dumps :)
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I made a plugin framework, you might want to check it out for adding various data types.

I'll probably add float16 some time in the future, but no time frame, so this might be useful until then:

https://github.com/maelh/hxd-plugin-framework