Won't Do: HxD: PageUp and PageDown behavior change option

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
mhurley

Won't Do: HxD: PageUp and PageDown behavior change option

Post by mhurley »

Seek to the middle of the file with the scrollbar. The files I'm looking at are bigger than 0x5000 bytes in size (usually >=128MB). Press either Page Up or Page Down.

HxD scrolls up to a random location (appears to go within the first 0x5000 bytes). Successive PageUp or PageDown presses work as expected.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

What counts is the actual caret position. PageDown/PageUp is always realtive to the caret position. So if you scroll with the scrollbar the caret out of view and then use pageup or pagedown you might think it is random, since it is not based on scrollbar but on caret position.

Apparently different programs handle this differently, Notepad and Wordpad are scrollbar position based, Delphi, many programming editors, Visual Studio etc. are caret position based.

But first of all, could you confirm that it works based on the caret position, so I know what you are experiencing more precisely?
mhurley

Post by mhurley »

I must have moved the caret around earlier. I didn't think I had. It behaves as you described.

Could this be moved to a feature request? It would be nice if you could set an option to determine how PageUp/PageDown behave.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

mhurley wrote:I must have moved the caret around earlier.
Not necessarily: if you have the caret at file begin (which is the case after loading), use the scrollbar to go to the middle and then press pagedown, you will see the "second page".
mhurley wrote:Could this be moved to a feature request? It would be nice if you could set an option to determine how PageUp/PageDown behave.
I have to think about what behavior is most intuitive: I don't know if an option would really be good. How to name it? Too many detail-options burry the important ones (it is only one, but there can be similar cases for other features).

One problem I see in some implementations, like Wordpad or many text editors, is that pagedown/pageup is scrollbar based but the up/down-arrow-keys are caret based.
So when using the arrow keys you might also wonder why you jump back to a "random" position instead of the prev/next line.