Information and Request Regarding Accessibility

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
student1

Information and Request Regarding Accessibility

Post by student1 »

I am new to hxd, and it looks like a great editor. I wanted to post to let the developer know that I am able to use it with the NVDA screen reader (for blind users), to make edits, if I change the setting View > Visible columns > Text (I cannot determine how to use the default view). This works great. I am not able to access other tabs in the UI, however. I have tried the usual Ctrl+Tab to change the focus to other tabs, but this does not work as expected. I also tried changing the Window > Cascade/Tile/etc. settings, but I cannot find a shortcut key that allows me to access the other tabs. This is a great tool, so if these shortcut keys could be added, it might allow me to use many other features. I am not yet knowledgable enough about Windows accessibility programming to ask more specific questions that might assist the developer to make other parts of the application accessible, but the NVDA developer team (nvaccess.org) is awesome, and I have seen them talk about an IAccessible interface, etc., that might be easy to add to hxd to make it more accessible. Thanks for making this great product available.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Information and Request Regarding Accessibility

Post by Maël »

student1 wrote: 03 Sep 2020 03:51 I have tried the usual Ctrl+Tab to change the focus to other tabs, but this does not work as expected.
That's how switching between files should work.

To switch between the hex and text section inside a file, just use Tab.

It could be NVDA gets confused by the hex column, due to the way and order in which it is printed.

But maybe you were referring to other windows, such as the data inspector, which is a docked window. Interestingly, I never tried to access those with a keyboard shortcut, I'll see how other programs handle this.

Regarding the hex column, to support that in a reasonable way for screen readers, I probably would need to offer a kind of logical spreadsheet interface, because otherwise, it will just read sequences of numbers, and I doubt that this will be very useful.

The shortcuts should be easy to do, the other part, not so much (I tried longer ago).