Data inspector: .net decimal type

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
_emile_

Data inspector: .net decimal type

Post by _emile_ »

Hi,

I use HxD often to decipher the format of different data files and it's just great.

These days, I'm facing a problem where I think that floating values are stored in the decimal .net format, see here: https://herongyang.com/C-Sharp/Floating ... cimal.html

Is it possible to add this type in the data inspector?
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Data inspector: .net decimal type

Post by Maël »

The link doesn't load currently, but I found another one that is quite useful, especially for an implementation in Delphi:

http://rvelthuis.de/programs/decimals.html

Delphi has a related datatype called Currency, which is a fixed-point datatype: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/Librari ... m.Currency
A Currency object is implemented as a 64-bit signed integer. The interval of Currency is
[-922337203685477.5808.. 922337203685477.5807
- (263+1)/10000.. 263/10000]
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

After reading through it a bit, it's possible, but non-trivial, since I need to add support for handling a 96-bit integer division by 10 and multiplication by 10, while 96-bit integers are not supported on 32-bit architectures (nor 128-bit integers).

Then handing over this sequence of generated decimal digits, or rather characters to the standard formatting routine. Possible, but less trivial than it might seem at first.

This stackoverflow answer might help, since it only requires bitshifts, which should be relatively easy to implement without direct 96-bit integer support:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/19076173

And this for multiplication: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/107 ... eger-by-10

But they both still need addition over a 96-bit integer (or subtraction), which would be slow, since addition has to be emulated, yet again. In assembly this could be easier (and faster), but also non-portable, hmmm...
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

Thank for looking at this request. Is the computation speed really important?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

It's not only speed but complexity of the algorithm. Using assembler is actually a bit easier in this case, since additions with carry exist (which allows to chain several 32-bit additions).

Still an implementation that needs quite some dev time.
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

Yes, I understand the problem since we just have the 64 bits integer type in C (in most cases). But, what about the use of double type and even single precision float to store the result of these 96 bits? Of course, we loose digits, but the point is just to recognize if we have decimal .net format stored inside a file.
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

Here a proof of concept using double type in C/C++:

Code: Select all

unsigned char st[16];
/* The 16 bytes of decimal format are present in st[] in little endian order */

double d = 0;
for (int i = 0; i < 12; i++) d += pow(16, (double)(i*2)) * (double)st[i];
d /= pow(10, (double)st[14]);
if (st[15] & 0x80) d = -d;

/* The result is in d */
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

I forgot to say that I'm aware this is not optimized at all. It's fast coded, just enough to make it work. In real word, I would take the 12 bytes of the mantissa as three 32 bits integers or one 64 bits and one 32 bits in order to limit the number of multiplications.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I started to make a 96bit integer implementation using assembler. Since it's just for adding and subtractng, the amount of assembler is not too much. The major reason is that it would be a pitty to round a purposefully precision datatype. It needs more testing and checking, but the basic approach works already. At least binary to string conversion, the reverse way still needs time.

Part of the explanation given is also to explain the time it takes to implement properly. Many people want quick and dirty solutions, I also like to have the result be stable, and predictable, since it will be in my program longer term.

Thanks for your input/sustained interest, together with donations, it makes it more motivating to implement.
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

Maël wrote: 24 Mar 2022 15:04 I started to make a 96bit integer implementation using assembler. Since it's just for adding and subtractng, the amount of assembler is not too much. The major reason is that it would be a pitty to round a purposefully precision datatype. It needs more testing and checking, but the basic approach works already. At least binary to string conversion, the reverse way still needs time.

Part of the explanation given is also to explain the time it takes to implement properly. Many people want quick and dirty solutions, I also like to have the result be stable, and predictable, since it will be in my program longer term.

Thanks for your input/sustained interest, together with donations, it makes it more motivating to implement.
You're a perfectionist. I wasn't even aware that most changes in the data inspector reflect in the file's bytes.
That's the way... I use your program in some fashion but, other people use it differently.

Anyway, it's a great software. Thank you for this amazing work.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Upon more exact inspection it turns out the shift/add based division solution only works for 32 bit integers, and I first need to understand this better to make it work with wider integers.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Much clearer version of the divide by 10 code:
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/12/binary- ... aint-easy/
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

Just an idea, it's maybe stupid but... Is division by ten really mandatory to display a .net decimal number?

Once you have the string that represent the 96 bits integer*, you have just to put the decimal point at the right place and, if needed, add the decimal exponent. All of that could be directly calculated by the 8 bits value of this exponent.

(*) I don't know whether it's easy or not to get.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Divison by 10 is necessary to convert the integer to a sequence of characters that can be displayed as a string. There is no IntToStr for UInt96.

I mostly understood the algorithm now, just trying to understand how the error correction works in the last step. When I did I should be able to adapt it and make it work.
_emile_

Post by _emile_ »

Maël wrote: 25 Mar 2022 15:32 Divison by 10 is necessary to convert the integer to a sequence of characters that can be displayed as a string. There is no IntToStr for UInt96.

I mostly understood the algorithm now, just trying to understand how the error correction works in the last step. When I did I should be able to adapt it and make it work.
Ok, I was fearing something like that. The principle of this algorithm is comprehensible but so complicated compared to the use of high-level language (I program a little in assembly, that said). I never realized that a division by ten is always an approximation.