Done: HxD: extended "select block" option

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
lordcanty

Done: HxD: extended "select block" option

Post by lordcanty »

Hi, a couple of minor things I'd like to see in HxD.

When using "select block" I hope you could add an option to select from starting point + block length in bytes instead of only ending position. Sometimes I have a starting offset and size, and having to manually calculate the ending offset is a bit annoying. You could make some radio buttons so the second box means "ending offset" or "number of bytes selected".

Also a small comment but it's my own preference so you might not agree. I think the way blocks are selected is a bit misleading. For example if I put as the start-end 0x1000-0x1200 I personally think I'm selecting a size of 0x200, but since the ending offset is included HxD selects 0x201 bytes (I believe this is the same for other functions). A possible solution would be some option to include or exclude the last byte in selections, but it's so minor it would be weird to have such option.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: extended "select block" option

Post by Maël »

lordcanty wrote:When using "select block" I hope you could add an option to select from starting point + block length in bytes instead of only ending position.
As it happens, I have implemented this in my development version some time ago.
lordcanty wrote:I think the way blocks are selected is a bit misleading.
That is the way it is done in all hex editors I've tested. I wouldn't want to deviate from this behavior as it would lead to confusion to have HxD be the exception.

But apart from that I think it is logic, too. For example: You could say you are on holiday from the 5th day of a month to the 10th day, in total you are on holiday for 10-5+1= 6 days. If your holidays goes from the 5th to the 5th day, you still have one day off, and not zero days.

Ok, on the other hand you could say: I go from meter 50 to meter 50, then the distance would be 0 meters.

Anyway... I'll keep it the way it is for compatibility, the length in bytes option should help if you want to use the "other" logic.
lordcanty

Post by lordcanty »

Ok, thanks. I've checked and indeed that's how others hex editors do it, but it was a minor thing anyway, the length in bytes option is enough for me.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Implemented in version 1.7.1 beta