Done: HxD: Allow selection and copying of Offset numbers

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
elijahlofgren

Done: HxD: Allow selection and copying of Offset numbers

Post by elijahlofgren »

It would be really nice if you could enable selection of the Offset numbers listed on the right of the screen. I used HxD to recover some pictures and found myself manually copying down the Offset numbers so I could do a Select Block. It would be great if they could be copied to the clipboard. :wink:

Thanks,

Elijah Lofgren
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: Allow selection and copying of Offset numbers

Post by Maël »

elijahlofgren wrote:It would be really nice if you could enable selection of the Offset numbers listed on the right of the screen. [...] It would be great if they could be copied to the clipboard.
Are you talking about the offsets on the left? I don't see any offsets on the right.

If you choose "Edit|Select block..." and you are on the start of the line, "Start-Offset" will contain the Offset of the line.
Is that what you want?
Last edited by Maël on 14 Aug 2007 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
elijahlofgren

Post by elijahlofgren »

Maël wrote:
elijahlofgren wrote:It would be really nice if you could enable selection of the Offset numbers listed on the right of the screen. [...] It would be great if they could be copied to the clipboard.
Are you talking about the offsets on the left? I don't see any offsets on the right.

How do you want to select them? I am not really sure I understand what you want to do.
Yes, I meant the left, sorry. I was tired yesterday. ;)

I'd like to be able to simply select them using the mouse so I can copy down the offset number and paste it into notepad instead of writing it down manually as shown here: http://picasaweb.google.com/elijahlofgr ... 0629651378 (see the bottom left of the screen where I have been manually copying down Offset numbers so I can do a block selection.

Thanks for taking a look at this,

Elijah Lofgren
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Ok, sorry I didn't expect you to answer so quickly ;-)

I have edited my post above, the important new part is:

If you choose "Edit|Select block..." and you are on the start of the line, "Start-Offset" will contain the Offset of the line.
Is that what you want?
elijahlofgren

Post by elijahlofgren »

Maël wrote:Ok, sorry I didn't expect you to answer so quickly ;-)

I have edited my post above, the important new part is:

Is that what you want?
That's a nice feature, but I'd also like to be able to copy an Offset number and later paste it into the End-Offset blank because it is really hard to scroll down through a 0.5MB picture to find the end of it.

Basically, I'm lazy and don't like copying down numbers by hand. ;)

I thought that enabling selection and copying of the Offset numbers might be a simple config option/switch you could enable in your code. If it's more work than that, don't worry about it. I can make do. ;)

Thanks again for sharing your great program with us and taking a look at my request,

Elijah Lofgren
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

elijahlofgren wrote:That's a nice feature, but I'd also like to be able to copy an Offset number and later paste it into the End-Offset blank because it is really hard to scroll down through a 0.5MB picture to find the end of it.
You can copy the offset to the clipboard from the edit-box labled "Start-Offset" in the "Edit|Select block..."-dialog.

I can however also change the Goto-dialog, such that when you open it, the offset-edit contains the current offset (where your cursor is). At the moment it contains the offset where you jumped last time.

I could also change HxD, such that you could right click on an offset (those on the left ;-) and copy it to the clipboard.
Or to be more flexible, a new entry in the general context menu, something like "Copy current position to clipboard".

So what's your choice :-) ?
elijahlofgren

Post by elijahlofgren »

Maël wrote: I could also change HxD, such that you could right click on an offset (those on the left ;-) and copy it to the clipboard.
Or to be more flexible, a new entry in the general context menu, something like "Copy current position to clipboard".
Either other these would be great! :D Whichever you think is best or is easier to implement. :)

Thanks again,

Elijah
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

There is a context menu now (since a while I don't remember which version), so that you can copy the current offset (=current caret position), and a shortcut as well.