Done: HxD: Block extraction

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
lordcanty

Done: HxD: Block extraction

Post by lordcanty »

Could you add some feature to create a new file from a selected block or from an offset range?

Btw, when you are saving the dialog says "SSaving..." (with double S).

Also, if you are saving a new file with "save as" of (for example) 200MB and you cancel before it finishes, you still get a 200MB file, but most of it is just 0's. Is this the expected behavior or a bug?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Damn, I edited your post above (while changing the title) instead of replying (I hope I restored it correctly).
Could you add some feature to create a new file from a selected block or from an offset range?
Ok
Btw, when you are saving the dialog says "SSaving..." (with double S).
Oh, I fixed that some time ago, but apparently haven't uploaded the fixed version.
Also, if you are saving a new file with "save as" of (for example) 200MB and you cancel before it finishes, you still get a 200MB file, but most of it is just 0's. Is this the expected behavior or a bug?
I you have edited a file, especially if you moved/inserted/deleted data, the file will not be written sequentially (first non-changed data is moved then new parts are written). This means that if you stop saving at 50%, 100 MB have been written, but not necessarily the first 100MB of the 200MB file. So it makes no real sense to set the file size to 100MB instead of 200MB (it could potentially crop away already written data).
One option would be if you cancel saving to just delete the file, though I think the current way is better.

You made me think though that it might be a good idea to warn that if you cancel saving you will lose the file... (Hm, I really have to think about this).
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: Block extraction

Post by Maël »

HxD 2.2 implements this feature. From the changelog:
New: "Save selection" command