Done: HxD: Copied non-ascii string should contains the real char

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
sidwu

Done: HxD: Copied non-ascii string should contains the real char

Post by sidwu »

Copied non-ascii string from the right pane into clipboard should contains the real character. I.e., non-ascii character such as line-feed (0xD,0xA) that displayed as dot character should be copied as real character (that is line-feed) instead dot char again.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Yes, agreed. I'll change that.

But keep in mind that 0-characters cannot be copied as text to the clipboard- How should that be handled? Cut off or use a dot?

I think that cutting off is the better approach.

BTW: Please keep in mind that text is not a safe way to make binary copies! Depending on the associated character set and other factors the data might be altered when going to the clipboard or when pasted in another app.

Safe binary copy is done inside of HxD, if you need to exchange binary data with another program either copy as hex-string or save into a file.
sidwu

Post by sidwu »

I think that cutting off is the better approach.
Yup, I agree that.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: Copied non-ascii string should contains the real char

Post by Maël »

Solved in recent versions of HxD (2.0 and higher).

It uses the original characters (or actually their proper Unicode translation depending on the selected text encoding) where possible.
If the text that is to be copied contains a #0 character, it will be replaced with a replacement character � and a warning message appears.

That means you should always get what you want and expect, besides the one exception with the #0 characters that HxD will warn about.
Claraa12

Re: Done: HxD: Copied non-ascii string should contains the real char

Post by Claraa12 »

Hi Friend, When copying a non-ASCII string using HxD, it is important to ensure that the copied string contains the actual characters in the original text, as non-ASCII characters can be displayed differently depending on the character encoding used. It is recommended to use a text editor that supports the same character encoding as the original text to ensure that the copied string is accurate.Free Fire