Done: HxD: Unlimited bytes per row

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
BlackEye

Done: HxD: Unlimited bytes per row

Post by BlackEye »

HxD is great, but it is missing one feature I use often in other editors. I frequently look at fixed width data where each line is longer than 512 bytes, and it would be nice if I could specify a line width of any value.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: Unlimited bytes per row

Post by Maël »

BlackEye wrote:it would be nice if I could specify a line width of any value.
The reason why this is limited to 512 is because in octal 512 is 777, so the maximum number representable in 3 digits. If showing more than that the column-numbering in the hex-part wouldn't work anymore (i.e. you would have to to start counting at 0 again).

But even if this wasn't done, I have to limit it somehow for performance reasons (haven't tested the maximum number, though).

Perhaps if you tell me more about why you need such large width I could find an alternative solution, especially since you have to scroll a lot when you have such a wide view.
BlackEye

Post by BlackEye »

Well, like I said, I look at fixed width data and want the positions of the data on each line to line up. I understand about the scrolling and performance hit, but that is secondary to having the data lined up row after row.
Toad

Post by Toad »

I would also like to see this. This would've come in handy for me in the past when I was trying to find out what the block size of a RAID 0 drive was. Basically, I wanted to have 4K or 16K length rows so I can easily see the data on each row line up.
RIVDSL

Post by RIVDSL »

For me this would be very useful when I am working with fixed width data. Usually I am only interested in one particular column, so when I have set the horizontal scrollbar in the right position this position stays fixed. The column numbering is not really important since it can be derived from the offset in the status bar (when the caret is at the first row).
Heimschmiede

Post by Heimschmiede »

This thread became very old but this is a feature I would also love to see it in HxD, especially because I have not found any other hex-editor and supports this (except ISPF-edit on a mainframe which is pretty incommodious).
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

The limit in HxD 2.0 is 4096 now.