Request for option to disable automatic saving of Find histo

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
Toad

Request for option to disable automatic saving of Find histo

Post by Toad »

I use HxD as somewhat of a security tool. I like the secure wipe feature (mainly because I don't like leaving traces of anything lying around). I was horrified to realize that HxD was saving a history of my find searches. I am requesting a feature in options that makes sure HxD doesn't save any history like this! Thanks!
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Request for option to disable automatic saving of Find histo

Post by Maël »

The next version will have an option to turn that off. Until then: if you are using the portable version, just delete HxD.ini which is in the same directory as HxD.exe. If you are using the installable version of HxD delete the HxD.ini which is to be found in the %APPDATA%\Mael\HxD directory.

P.S.: If you really don't want to leave traces I suggest you use something like BartPE or WinPE as when you run Windows from a hard disk it might leave traces as it also records which files where open and not, the paging file may have revealing information and other places I'm not aware of. All that is independent of HxD but nevertheless important. So ideally, access/mount no other hard disk than the one you want to delete/wipe/shredder, BartPE can start from just a CD.
Toad

Re: Request for option to disable automatic saving of Find histo

Post by Toad »

Thanks! Can't wait!