Simple bookmarking / highlighting?

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
Sammi-Husky

Simple bookmarking / highlighting?

Post by Sammi-Husky » 05 Jun 2014 22:28

Dunno if this has been asked before, however it would be really nice if you could bookmark or highlight a specific offset and length of bytes. Would definitely help when managing larger files or archives. Maybe with a little dialog like the goto form? something where you can specify the address and length of bytes to highlight, as well as a color maybe?

EDIT: dangit, im sorry idk why it double posted this thread

Maël
Site Admin

Re: Simple bookmarking / highlighting?

Post by Maël » 07 Jun 2014 20:27

It's fine, I deleted the double post.

HxD, has a simple bookmark feature you can access over keyboard shortcuts:
  • Ctrl+Shift+Number (0-9) sets a bookmark
  • Ctrl+Number (0-9) goes to a bookmark
Since Windows Vista Ctrl+Shift+0 is assigned to the operating system so bookmark 0 will not work with HxD (but 1-9 will). Here is the solution:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967893

If this feature is not enough it would be useful to have a little more information on how you want to use the bookmark (for example why is the length important)? That would help to find a good design/GUI.

Sammi-Husky

Post by Sammi-Husky » 08 Jun 2014 19:16

Oh, nice. I hadn't noticed the bookmarking feature before. That's sure to come in handy.

Anyways, for example. Say i was working with an unknown file and was trying to figure out what they do. Having a feature where you could highlight x number of bytes at a certain offset would help alot. Something like this one of these examples maybe?

I suppose it's less like bookmarking and more like highlighting/color mapping. Of course this would be only for the session that the file is open in HXD, but i think it would help immensely when dealing with large or unknown files. It would allow you to easily divide sections of a file with a specific border color or highlight color. The reason i think the length would be important is because you might be dealing with a 2 byte value that you want to keep track of, while other times you might want to highlight 4 bytes. Sometimes maybe even larger, to divide areas of an archive.

In any case, i also wanted to take the time to thank you for making HXD. I've tried many other editors over the years, including a few licensed products. But i always end up coming back to HxD for it's simplicity, ease of use, and flexibility. Very very great product :mrgreen:

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 12 Jun 2014 23:43

Seems like a useful feature. Something like a named list of bookmarks, maybe also annotateable with types (not just length). And then assembling this to structures that can be saved, with undefined parts in between (the non-bookmarked "holes").

Maybe this would prove useful for prototyping or discovering structures/records.

Another good addition would be to have tooltips around bookmarked regions that show the name and possible other annotation. Possibly also hide (make white/blank) some bookmarked portions using a checkbox next to the entry.
Folding of bookmarks, like in the RAM editor might prove useful, too.

Sammi-Husky

Post by Sammi-Husky » 14 Jun 2014 09:52

Indeed, it's one of the things i intended on using the feature for! really great for prototyping a single file structure and easily keeping track of important areas in large files.

If it were to have a named list of bookmarks, that would make it all the more useful. You'd likely be able to really simply add the ability to double click the item in the list and execute the "goto" command automatically at the address the bookmark is saved at without bringing up the goto dialog. Just tossing ideas around :mrgreen:

Owyn

Post by Owyn » 11 Aug 2014 22:17

It's the request I came here to do but it's already here... and i'ts already done... via secret hotkey :lol:

add bookmarking to right-click context menu please