Done: HxD: show values for highlighted data

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: show values for highlighted data

Post by Maël »

The data inspector is a floating window, but can be docked to any of the four sides, and will be docked by default. The advantage is that you can see different interpretations at the same time and can edit values as floats/integers(decimal)/... instead of using hex. You would also be able to show/hide only the data types that you are interested in.
Finally, the data inspector interprets the data at the current position.

So it behaves pretty much the same as what you suggested.

When the data inspector is available we can still see if it makes sense to add such a feature to the statusbar, though it is already pretty crowded.
rc-flitzer

Post by rc-flitzer »

Ah, thanks for explaining in detail how the inspector will look like. For I don't like floating windows (you never know where to look or it is not next to the main window) it's nice to hear that it will be dockable. :)
Maël wrote:When the data inspector is available we can still see if it makes sense to add such a feature to the statusbar, though it is already pretty crowded.
Maybe not all value interpretations will fit into the line but at least one configurable (e.g. integer LE) could. On the other hand it would save the complete data inspector window in most cases. ;)
Kyudos

Post by Kyudos »

Thanks for the great software!

With the addition of the data inspector it will be perfect!

So here is another vote for that feature to appear soon! :)

(I made a little donation, if that helps speed things along ... :D)
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Thanks for the donation, it's much appreciated.

The data inspector is ready. HxD's current version isn't ready for a release though, I have to fix some issues and remove other non-finished features first. Since I'm quite busy with work projects currently my estimate is end of October/beginning of November.
Chase-san

Post by Chase-san »

Not to be a bother. However do you have another estimation? I really am looking forward to this feature.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Sorry, for the delayed response. See my reply here: http://forum.mh-nexus.de/viewtopic.php?p=1055#p1055
jsnyder

Post by jsnyder »

Has there been any headway on introducing a data inspector to Hxd? One of the posts said 1.8 was on the way in 2007. My current installation says that 1.7.* is still the current version.

It is very time-efficient to anaysis binary data in as many ways as possible at the same time, because many times I don't know for what I am looking, which is why I bothered to look at the binary. I still use XVI32 for its data inspector, but I like the multi-doc interface and other features in HxD. It would nice if it had this one key feature; I would ditch XVI32 in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the great software.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

There is in the development version of HxD. No release date yet though, I am sorry.
darkdriak

HxD: show values for highlighted data

Post by darkdriak »

Any chance for a release of the development version or release of source code so others can contribute?
I've been a fan of HxD for several years, using it quickly for when I need it but this feature is something that would help greatly in my recent work.
Not sure if you have any further plans for it or if it's died a quiet death though.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

If you want to try out HxD 2.0 beta, just write me a mail to get the link. The final version will be posted publicly of course, when it's done.

It includes a data-inspector, just like described here: https://blog.mh-nexus.de/2014/12/how-to ... ex-editor/

HxD is not dead (and I have no plans to open source it). If you want to encourage development, making it more known/spreading the word and donations help.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

It's available in the current 2.0 RC.

https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetup.zip
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Done: HxD: show values for highlighted data

Post by Maël »

And also in the stable release since HxD 2.0.