Done: Is there new version of HxD on the way?

General comments that are neither bug reports nor feature requests.
asmix

Done: Is there new version of HxD on the way?

Post by asmix »

Maël, more than half year past since last version. Do you plan to release something fresh in the near future?
Faalagorn

Re: Is there new version of HxD on the way?

Post by Faalagorn »

I'd love to know that too :). I really love the HxD because it's stable, fast, easy to use and have a nice variety of features, but unfortunately I have to look for an another program now, because it don't have a support for a custom charset tables I'd like to use with rom translating nor it can't do a realitive search in a file. I'd love to see those features added in future - or any other ones, just to see the project isn't dead yet.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

There is a new version in alpha stage with a data inspector, enhancements to the disk editor, handling of 64-bit processes in the RAM-editor, work on documentation, and some other minor features. Development is on hold though, because I am doing my Master's Thesis and I currently cannot find enough time to finish those features, even though the data inspector is pretty much done.

The safe prognosis is to expect something in about 6 months, it might happen before that but I cannot guarantee it.
Faalagorn wrote:it can't do a realitive search in a file
I am not sure what you mean. Searching starts by default from the current position in the editor.
Faalagorn

Post by Faalagorn »

First, thanks for the reply and it's great to hear that something is going on behind the stages :). Maybe you should post a news once per 2 months on the main page, just to let know what's going on to the masses ^^.
Maël wrote:
Faalagorn wrote:it can't do a realitive search in a file
I am not sure what you mean. Searching starts by default from the current position in the editor.
Um, sorry for my typo - I ment relative* search. Anyway, that's one of the function helpful with rom hacking to work out a text-encoding used in dumped ROM file. Citing the Jair's Text Hacking / Translation Tutorial
A relative search looks for changes from one value to the next. We can use this to find text in an unfamiliar rom. No matter what value represents "A", the value for "B" will be one higher, and so on. B=A+1, C=A+2, etc.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Ok, then please add feature requests detailing these things a bit. Wrt. to relative search I will consider it, but it looks quite specialized so I don't know when or if I'll implement it (maybe that's better done using a plugin/API-interface).
DVV

Post by DVV »

Will we see a new version of my favourite Hex-Editor soon? ;)
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Not soon but I'll probably have time to work again on it in the 2nd half of 2011. I have lots of work currently, sorry.

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year 2011 (soon)!
DVV

Post by DVV »

Happy New Year! Best wishes!
Maria

Post by Maria »

Hi Maël,

will we get a Xmas present this year? :P

My best regards,
Maria
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Unlikely, sorry :)
mike65

Post by mike65 »

yeah.. for many years i have been using oldest version. Please give me more update info about HxD.
Thanks... :mrgreen:
Xvolks

Post by Xvolks »

Hi Maël,

Are you still working on HxD ?
This is a wonderful tool, I use it very often on Windows, but I miss it on OSX.
Is there a chance that an OSX version will come to life on day ?

--Xvolks
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

There will be a new version, and I am working on HxD. A version for OSX though is very unlikely to appear given that HxD uses a Windows specific framework and many Windows specific functions.

Thanks for your continued interest :)
hexadecimal

Post by hexadecimal »

can we expect a new release before the summer?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

it's likely yes.