Reading mounted encrypted disks

General comments that are neither bug reports nor feature requests.
barley

Reading mounted encrypted disks

Post by barley »

Hi Mael,

thank you for this great program.

I use diskcryptor, and I wonder when I open a disk encrypted with diskcryptor through "extras > open disk > physical disks" should I see the encrypted info or the unencrypted?

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Barley
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Reading mounted encrypted disks

Post by Maël »

Barley,

HxD shows the disk in a raw byte stream as returned by the hardware. Depending on how DiskCryptor works, that means that either all or parts of the data you see is encrypted (for example partition data may be unencrypted). It is possible though unlikely that DiskCryptor uses a driver to filter access to the physical drive and return unencrypted or otherwise modified data.

In other words, you'd have to ask the authors of DiskCryptor to know for sure.
barley

Post by barley »

Thank you - from the looks of the data it seems encrypted, but I was wondering, since there is a driver which is supposed to en/decrypt all disk access.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

barley wrote:Thank you - from the looks of the data it seems encrypted, but I was wondering, since there is a driver which is supposed to en/decrypt all disk access.
Probably it just decrypts using a file system driver (filter driver). So when you read files it gets decrypted but the logical and physical drives stay encrypted.