Block offset on new data

Help on how to use HxD.
reini

Block offset on new data

Post by reini »

Hello Mael,

I'm a big fan of your hex-editor HxD and I wondered whether it is possible to select an user offset when creating a new file with hex-data. I want to manually create an Intel-hex file with a block of data between, say address 0x010100 - 0x010500 and fill it with some numbers and then save it. But it seems that it is only possible to create a new file with an offset that starts at 0x0000. That would create a huge file and I have to delete lines afterwards, but it woul be nicer if the file was ready to use after editing :D

With kind regards,

Reini
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Block offset on new data

Post by Maël »

I started something along those lines but never got to implement this feature fully.

There is some of this implemented for the virtual memory editor, which shows memory divided in sections (which are fixed however/defined by the process whose memory is inspected), some of which are undefined and folded.

An implementation for Intel Hex files (or any file type really, would work in a similar way).

I am not sure what the stumbling block was exactly anymore, it affected somehow the fundamental editing datastructure, and needed quite a few GUI extensions, so you can really create (and edit and change!) arbitrary gaps.

Most likely the effort vaned as the interest of the people requesting it vaned, and the effort was not proportional to the interest anymore.

People often want a quick and dirty solution that scratches a specific itch, I like a fundamental proper solution that I enjoy after work is done.
reini

Re: Block offset on new data

Post by reini »

Hello Maël,

I agree, that you don't want to make quick fixes. I'm also not a fan of dirty and quick programming and I understand your dilemma. Unfortunate (for me :-)) that it is time consuming to make the block address variable, but it is what it is...
Keep up the good work! and thanks for the reply!

With kind regards,

Reini