Cannot open for write access. Access is denied.

Help on how to use HxD.
Habanero

Cannot open for write access. Access is denied.

Post by Habanero »

Hello. I'm trying to mody the text of a game, The Typing of the Dead 2, which has its script stored in the exe. However, I can't seem to write to the EXE no matter what I do (or even which hex editor I use). I've tried running as admin, moving to a different folder, making sure my Windows 7 Security clearance has write access, etc. Can you see if there's any way for HxD to modify this EXE? I don't think you'll need any of the other game files, but let me know if you do. Thanks.

https://mega.nz/file/1pJQATAL#VIsR95DRJ ... ByEieAyY8I
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Cannot open for write access. Access is denied.

Post by Maël »

Hey,

I am afraid I can't open a random executable, but the content of the file shouldn't matter.

The only reason the file cannot be written to is either because the readonly setting is checked in the file properties, or some program has the file opened (or the EXE is running).

This can be a virus scanner, an anti-cheat engine or some other stuff installed by the game. Try editing the exe in a virtual machine, where it was not installed.
Habanero

Post by Habanero »

I didn't think of trying it in a virtual machine, but unfortunately I get the same result (tried it in VirtualBox under Windows XP). I guess it's something about the EXE itself that doesn't allow it to be modified. Oh well.

Edit: Oh, it seems to be working now suddenly. I'll see if this works out, thanks.
cl0cal

Post by cl0cal »

just a small tip, you are able to actually find and search the file easily if the volume is not encrypted through the hypervisor itself (your host machine)
protip- can also edit other guest system protected files this way