Solved: "Save as" dialog will take over the current filenname, but omit it's extension

Help on how to use HxD.
HexLife

Re: can not save in Bin format

Post by HexLife »

i am trying to download older version . for example 2.2 or 2.1 but download link keeps sending me to version 2.5.
i want to try older version see if that fix the issue
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

A video / screencapture would be a good start so I can see the sequence of actions that triggers this behavior.
Using the mouse or keyboard and the exact sequence may make a difference.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Older versions won't help fixing it, since I need to find what triggers this issue. Try deactivating Windows Explorer extensions and see if it has an effect.

But the video is still important. It will help to determine where to add logging information.
HexLife

Post by HexLife »

do you know what free software . to make video?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

This open source program seems to be nice: https://getsharex.com/

I tested it quickly and it works. Just make sure I can see the entire screen, please.

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/288
So when you picked "record screen", you can select the region with the mouse; press the space key to select the entire screen.
HexLife

Post by HexLife »

this is how i would normally use HxD.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/yxy18gtk ... 1.mp4/file
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

From watching your video it seems you are not typing in ".bin" at the end. You have to append ".bin" explicitly if you want to have that file extension, it won't be appended automatically.
HexLife

Post by HexLife »

i never had to add .bin at the end of edited files in HxD before .. this just started happing 3 months ago. i been using HxD for 5 years.

why do i have to add .bin to a already .bin extension that i am editing ?
HexLife

Post by HexLife »

could you please link me to a older version 2.1. to test.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Ok, after your additional explanation (and watching the video again to confirm) it finally becomes clear what the actual issue is:

When you select "save as" the filename of the current file is not completely taken over in the file save dialog, instead the filename appears without a file extension.

I'll see if I can reproduce this issue.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: "Save as" dialog will take over the current filenname, but omit it's extension

Post by Maël »

HexLife wrote: 30 Mar 2021 22:15 could you please link me to a older version 2.1. to test.
Try this:
https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxD2.1.0.0.Setup.zip
HexLife

Re: "Save as" dialog will take over the current filenname, but omit it's extension

Post by HexLife »

with version 2.1. still same issue
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I tested it on an older Windows 10 version, where I cannot reproduce this issue.

Maybe in a month or so I'll have a new system where I may test it. What Windows 10 version do you have?
HexLife

Post by HexLife »

Maël wrote: 03 Apr 2021 21:08 I tested it on an older Windows 10 version, where I cannot reproduce this issue.

Maybe in a month or so I'll have a new system where I may test it. What Windows 10 version do you have?
win V. 19041.867