Hey Mael Just Wondering something

Help on how to use HxD.
Kings_n_Queens

Hey Mael Just Wondering something

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 02 Dec 2009 08:54

Hey Mael I am Just Wondering if HxD (1.7.7.0) works on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Final build 7600 ?

Maël
Site Admin

Re: Hey Mael Just Wondering something

Post by Maël » 02 Dec 2009 19:08

It should work, since it works under Vista (except writing a disk in the disk editor).

Kings_n_Queens

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 03 Dec 2009 08:26

nope it don't work it just pops up when you try to change something in a file
on the top of the box it shows Error under there it says

Cannot open file "C:\Program Files
(x86)\ well here what ever file its pointing to" for write access. Access
is denied.

anyways before i post it this i want it to make a 100% sure it was not just my pc i was getting this as i reformat it my pc and tryed to change something in a exe file just a letter or anything and you will get a pop up like something on this line i add it the "well here what ever file its pointing to" as it was pointing to a file but ether way it don't work this was from a friend i was viewing her screen as i guide her throw everything as she didn't know what she was doing but when i got the eorr off hers i told her to leave her pc so i could type it to you on here as i did but yea i got the same when i did it on mine also but as i was typing i want it to make 100% sure it was not just mine be fore i post it anything shes on Windows 7 Platinum, mine was on Windows 7 Ultimate but over all about the same results mine was a bit different

Cannot open file "C:\Program Files
\well here what ever file its pointing to" for write access. Access
is denied.

something on that line but i put back on xp as i was getting that hope you can fix the problem as i would love to put back on Windows 7 again anyways keep up the good work Mael i been using this program for a long time I've never had the need to sign up and post on here but as im reporting the problem on what im getting and that im here i do wanna say i do love the program HxD keep up the good work Mael and as i was saying hope you can fix the problem

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 03 Dec 2009 16:36

So if I got you right you wanted to modify a file that is stored in the ""C:\Program Files (x86)\ " directory.
Since Vista this directory and other system directories are protected. You cannot write to them if you aren't an administrator. This is by design (Windows OS design) for security reasons.

The solution is to run HxD as administrator (right click on HxD's icon). Then it should work.

But you should also be aware that Windows protects some system files, so it might be that it reverts your changes back.

Hope this helps.

Kings_n_Queens

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 03 Dec 2009 20:15

Hey Mael Thanks for the reply, well on her pc for some reason she has 2 "Program Files" ones just "Program Files" and ones "Program Files(x86)", I know when i reformat it my pc i only had the one "Program Files" as most os "C:\Program Files" any how i was just trying any file i told her to just go any where witch we did on her pc i was mostly just posting what it shows but yeah i even tried to edit a file on the "desk top" even when i had Windows 7 installed it and it would not let me as for the "administrator" thing your talking about i turned the "administrator" thing off so when you restart the pc you don't have the sign in screen but ether way by doing that way it never worked also when i gave that a try a few days ago

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 03 Dec 2009 21:01

her pc for some reason she has 2 "Program Files" ones just "Program Files" and ones "Program Files(x86)",
This means she had the 64 bit version of Windows installed.
for the "administrator" thing your talking about i turned the "administrator" thing off
Even if you don't the sign-in screen it might be that you need to explicitly run as admin. Windows has UAC which requires to explicitly start programs as admin.
When I get a Windows 7 machine I'll check it.

Kings_n_Queens

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 03 Dec 2009 22:18

x86 stands for 32bit but if you want to give it a try Windows 7, Microsoft had beta versions of Windows 7 witch still work if im right build 7260 was the last beta build or it might have been build 7600 witch expires around some where the beginning of 2010 but ether way you will get to try it out

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 03 Dec 2009 22:41

Kings_n_Queens wrote:x86 stands for 32bit
yeah I know, but this directory exists only on Windows 64 bit edition. It contains the "old" 32 bit programs.

Wrt. Windows 7, I'll install it when I got some free space.

Kings_n_Queens

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 03 Dec 2009 23:07

o ic ok that makes scene , and ok sounds good yeah it don't take long to install Windows 7 and give it a try takes about 17 mins and also with the good thing about Windows 7 it picks up mostly every driver from when it came out so you should not have to install your sound drivers or video drivers or anything it should just install your drivers right away anyways keep up the good work and i cant wait till you find whats cussing the problem

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 05 Dec 2009 22:02

So what I could reproduce is that files under the program files directory cannot be modified even when HxD is run as administrator. It looks though as if Windows 7 has an even stronger protection preventing HxD from changing a file there (not sure if I can do anything about that).

But files on the desktop can be modified.

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 05 Dec 2009 23:43

I checked again. The reason why files in the "program files" directory cannot be written is that the permissions are set such that only an installer can write to them. You would have to change the file permissions first (see properties in Windows Explorer).

Notepad behaves similarily, so I think I'll leave it that way.

Kings_n_Queens

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 06 Dec 2009 04:14

Hey Mael Thanks for the reply and also checking in to it for me,but what do you mean about this you typed
________________________________________________________________________________
You would have to change the file permissions first (see properties in Windows Explorer).

Notepad behaves similarily, so I think I'll leave it that way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
could you explain more please on what you mean

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 06 Dec 2009 16:46

You would have to change the file permissions first (see properties in Windows Explorer).
Right-click on a file in Windows-Explorer, choose properties in the menu, and choose security (not sure about the exact captions, I have the German version of Windows). In the window you can set permissions for different users including admin and default users. Set write permissions as appropriate.
Notepad behaves similarly, so I think I'll leave it that way.
When you try to save a file that is protected (like in program files) it gives a similar error message as HxD does.

Kings_n_Queens

Post by Kings_n_Queens » 06 Dec 2009 17:57

Hey Mael Thanks for the reply well im still on XP as i toke Windows 7 off my pc as i typed above in one of my post as it was bugging me with not being able to do anything with HxD, Well as to what you typed here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right-click on a file in Windows-Explorer, choose properties in the menu, and choose security (not sure about the exact captions, I have the German version of Windows). In the window you can set permissions for different users including admin and default users. Set write permissions as appropriate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to see if you could do a video on what you mean and what to do as i don't know where Windows-Explorer would be and where to click anything it don't matter if you have a German version of Windows as long as i can see on what your doing and clicking on all have a idea what i would be looking for and doing i wanna make 100% sure i know what im doing before i put back on Windows 7

Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël » 09 Dec 2009 18:03

Look at the following picture (scroll if necessary). You need to right-click on the file whose permissions you want to change, then choose properties in the popup-menu.
In the dialog-box appearing change the settings as you need (like setting writing and modification rights, or just full access). Click ok. Done.
ExplorerSettingFileRights.png
ExplorerSettingFileRights.png (144.26 KiB) Viewed 13802 times
You can apply this also to several files, or entire folder. But I wouldn't recommend this, because Windows usually has a reason to protect these files.