Separating text with empty bytes

Help on how to use HxD.
j_b

Separating text with empty bytes

Post by j_b »

Hi there.
I'm editing some files for game localization and in order to have things done correctly I have to separate every character in translated text with empty bytes (00). Doing so manually is irritating, boring and mistakes can happen easily - especially if longer parts of the text are concerned. Is there some clever option that allows you to separate characters in selected text with empty bytes? If not, can you reccomend me some tool that could help me? Or can you add something like that to your program? I won't lie, it would come in handy and I would work faster :)

Code: Select all

Example:

I like you. ----> I. .l.i.k.e. .y.o.u...
Hex: 49 20 6C 69 6B 65 20 79 6F 75 2E   -----> 49 00 20 00 6C 00 69 00 6B 00 65 00 20 00 79 00 6F 2E 75 00 2E 00
Know what I mean? ;)

I'd be really grateful if you could help me...
Take care.
prino

Re: Separating text with empty bytes

Post by prino »

Doesn't saving the text in Unicode do this all by itself???? Even that Microsoft joke called Notepad can do it.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
https://prino.neocities.org/zOS/zOS-Tools.html - Some programming here :mrgreen:
j_b

Re: Separating text with empty bytes

Post by j_b »

I may be doing something wrong but that doesn't seem to work. Can you give me some tips about how should I do that? I'm completely unfamiliar with stuff like that...

EDIT: Allright, false alarm - I managed to do it :) All I needed was, as you said, saving translated text in notepad using unicode and then opening it with my hex editor - works like a charm :)

Thank you :) I owe you one ;)