Ask : Hard disk is not detected, mistakenly using HxD

Help on how to use HxD.
ryandyra

Ask : Hard disk is not detected, mistakenly using HxD

Post by ryandyra »

Please help me..
i was using HxD to make some modification in my disk, but something went wrong and now, my notebook can't even boot because the disk is not detected.
anybody know how to undo this because i have some trouble to aside from this.
I can't even re-install my os (any os) because it is not detecting my disk.

Help me it's urgent.. i have some precious datas in it, and some assignment too..
:( :( :( :(
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Ask : Hard disk is not detected, mistakenly using HxD

Post by Maël »

Without knowing what you did its hard to help.

If you want to safe your data you can use a linux live cd (like the one from ubuntu) to copy data to a usb-thumb drive or some other external drive. You can then reformat your drive and reinstall Windows.

It is not possible to physically damage your hard disk with HxD, reformatting as last resort always helps. If not even Linux recognizes your hard disk (as physical drive) maybe you have a hardware error or some cable is loose.

See here for an example of how to fix an error with a hard disk: http://forum.mh-nexus.de/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=503
apascs

Post by apascs »

I used disk editor and wrote some values trying to recover the files in the disk.
Know what values I wrote and the address to which it was written.

Now when I restart, the USB harddisk Iomehga is not recogonised.Get error message code 10, device cant start I had assigne the letter I to this drive. A drive with H assigned is recogonised.e linu
While trying to update driver get message most recent driver installed.
Switched off, restarted, still not working.
Have linux(fedora). Doesnt show up in list of disks there also.
Connected to a laptop.
Also in windows 7, diskmanagement doesnt show this device Anyway I can recover or format this device. Tried another USB device with same cable.
apascs
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

apascs wrote:Know what values I wrote and the address to which it was written.
If you know them, undo those edits.
And try to use some file recovery software, such as TestDisk.

The disk should always be accessible as physical disk, even if you edited it. Maybe not as logical disk if you changed the partitioning data or some file system structure, but the physical disk should always show up.
apascs

Post by apascs »

Test disk also does not show the disk. So I am unable to access the disk.

Anyway I can read the USB port writing some program since there is aproblem installing the device driver. Tried restoring to an earlier point of time.