Tracking data in xml

Help on how to use HxD.
offom

Tracking data in xml

Post by offom »

I have an .exe file that fills in some xml files with some float values. How can I find the resource of these values in .exe ? The value I am searching for in exe is "0.0", I tried using HxD but exe is full of zeros. I would like to trace where data is coming from. Lets say in xml, line is <cHeight=0.0> I know that this value, 0.0 comes from exe, I need to change this value to 2.0 in exe file using HxD. Afterwards editing xml file to 2.0 does not affect exe's working. exe just runs with its own 0.0 value.

Any help ?
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Tracking data in xml

Post by Maël »

The data can come from different origins. Either they are resources themselves, then you could try a resource editor. They could also be constants in the program code or values computed at run-time. It is not easy to find where the value comes from, you would need a disassembler and a debugging tool to step through the program and see where it sets the value.
The much easier solution would probably be to monitor for file changes and then update that created xml file each time using your own program.
offom

Post by offom »

These values are constants and coded in exe. Can you explain the process a bit more please ? Thanks Mael.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

If they are coded in the exe as floats all you can do with HxD is search for them. As you noted the exe contains many zero so it will be hard to find the right one. You could try to search for other more unique values that are closely located to the zero in the xml file to narrow it down to a smaller portion.

Regarding debugging and disassembling it's a complex topic I can't explain briefly. Have a look at ollydbg or w32dasm.