Changing 1C0, Position 02 from 42 to 07

Help on how to use HxD.
rrvwmr

Changing 1C0, Position 02 from 42 to 07

Post by rrvwmr »

I had a number of non-system storage disks installed on my Windows 7 computer. I was having boot issues and one of the disks was not being recognized. In the process of trying to get it working, I tried switching line 1C0, Position 02 from 42 to 07. The disk was recognized, but the data seemed to have reverted to an earlier time. Can someone tell me what might be going on and what process/software might best get these recent files back? I'm at a loss.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Changing 1C0, Position 02 from 42 to 07

Post by Maël »

I have never done this myself, but after some googling I guess you did something like this:
http://msincic.wordpress.com/2011/08/03 ... -to-basic/
The notes at the end of this blog post may give you some hints:
Important: do not use this feature on data without taking into account the risk of losing partitions, especially taking into account that certain features are not supported (Extend, Expand, RAIDs) on basic disks. This feature is interesting and essential if you want to retrieve data from disks that are on the specifications of basic disks, i.e. up to 4 partitions without RAID features.
Searching for dynamic disks I found: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... amic-disks
Dynamic disks can contain a large number of dynamic volumes (approximately 2000) that function like the primary partitions used on basic disks. In some versions of Windows, you can combine separate dynamic hard disks into a single dynamic volume (called spanning), split data among several hard disks (called striping) for increased performance, or duplicate data among several hard disks (called mirroring) for increased reliability.
Maybe mirroring was not completed and one of the disks (the one you tried to convert) contains the old data while another one contains the new data?

This is what I can tell you from my rough understanding. Maybe you can get some more insight if you ask the person who wrote the tutorial.
kingeagle

Post by kingeagle »

Hi All,

I was wondering.

If you have a 2TB harddisk with two partitions.
Do you need to change the code to another number?

'Changing 1C0, Position 02 from 42 to 07' ?

If you change 1C0, Position 02 from 42 to 07 the following thing will happen.
In the device manager you see the complete disk ( 2TB ). Only 918 GB are in use. ( So the first half/partition ). But you will not see the second partition.
Does anyone have experiance with this?

Kind regards,
Kingeagle
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Hi,

I posted what I know about this in the post above. This is not my area of expertise and it's unlikely you get replies from other people here. I guess you would have more luck asking the person who wrote this tutorial or asking in a forum like SuperUser.
kingeagle

Post by kingeagle »

Hi Maël,

Thanks for your reply. I experimented with some other programs. Not all succesfull. But with the last one I succeeded.
Partition Wizard Technician Edition --> I usedthe option : wizard --> partition recovery tool --> I selected the disk where I used HxD for. There I could recover the lost partition. The 2nd partition is now copy"ing data back to another disk.

Hopefully someone can use the same options to recover their lost partition.

Good luck, and thanks all.

Gr

Kingeagle