Need some assistance.

Help on how to use HxD.
Juss

Need some assistance.

Post by Juss »

Hello.
I´m trying to edit a game named darkeden item.inf with hxd editor.
I´ve managed to do everything else i´ve had to do, but I just can ´t figure it out.
(Right click - view image to see it in full scale.)
Its in Portuguese, so I can´t understand it.
Can someone please make a english guide of it, I´m pretty sure this isin´t a hard task for a person who has worked with HxD for while.

There is one more thing, If my computer and display language are english, can I somehow make HxD editor to display Korean?

I would really appreciate the help ^^
Juss

Re: Need some assistance.

Post by Juss »

Okay, I managed to figure most of it out, but I still cant understand how do I make these 4 digits to 8?
I also know that after the scorpion in hex, there is 04, that I need to make 08, BUT, I just can´t figure out how do i get these 4 symbols into word "Scorpion" without changeing file size...
Juss

Post by Juss »

Anyone? Is this forum really this inactive? :(
I´ve been googeling, but had no luck sofar + I really don´t exactly even know what to google for..
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

With this sketchy kind of information it is hard to answer. I don't speak Portuguese.
I just can´t figure out how do i get these 4 symbols into word "Scorpion" without changeing file size...
I'll answer with a wild guess since I am not sure what you mean: A hex editor is like a text editor really. You can insert something in the middle of text, like you can do with a text editor, too. In HxD, you need need to make sure you are in insert mode (press the Ins key to toggle between insert and overwrite mode).
If you use the menu commands, make sure to use "Edit|Paste Insert".

General information that may help:

I can give you general information though. It could be that "Scorpion" is not written directly as text in the file, but instead as an identifier number. What that number is depends on the program. For example if this is a name of a player in a list of players, and "Scorpion" is the 3rd player, then the ID could be 3.

If it is written as normal text it would take 8 bytes/characters.

Some files can be changed in size without causing problems, but most cannot and need other parts of the file to be updated too, so they can still be read properly, as portions of the file that came behind it were moved by inserting. It could also be that the file has a checksum to ensure it is valid. That checksum would need to be updated.

Again, this depends on the program that created the file. Many things are possible. Best is to ask the person who did the guide.
Juss

Post by Juss »

Jep, I managed to figure it out few days ago.
4 letters infront the "Scorpion" there is 08 in hex.
I had to replace the 04 in front of the kr symbols, and paste "Scoprion" over those 4 letters, works like a charm!

Thank you though ! :)