Complete newbie needs help

Help on how to use HxD.
hicountryrider

Complete newbie needs help

Post by hicountryrider »

I just installed HxD in order to try and modify an .exe file for the Microsoft Solitaire game taken from a Windows 7 system to use it on a Windows 8.1 system. I have instructions I read from the following site:
http://www.howtogeek.com/122145/what-ha ... windows-8/ - located about 3/4 down the page.

The instructions included the following:
To do so manually, you can use a hex editor to open each game’s .exe file and search for the following bytes:
7D 04 83 65 FC 00 33 C0 83 7D FC 01 0F 94 C0
Replace the first 7D in the sequence above with EB, and then save the file. You’ll need to do this manually for each game’s .exe file.

I opened the Solitaire.exe file in HxD editor and entered the string as shown above but nothing was found. I did notice that the above string was 15 bytes per row and in HxD editor I could not select 15 bytes per row, only 10 or 16 were close to 15.

If I entered just 7D in the Find window it found the following:

Would anyone be able to explain to me how to search or find the string as indicated in the italic text in order to make the change necessary? I did not change any of the default settings in the editor after installing it.

TIA for any replies.
If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Complete newbie needs help

Post by Maël »

Did you search for "text-string" or "hex values"? Make sure you selected the right type in the search window. But a quick search for those values in Windows 7's Solitaire didn't turn up any results for me either.

Maybe the tutorial just works with the 32-bit version of Solitaire (do you have 64-bit Windows?). I would ask the writer of the tutorial.
hicountryrider

Re: Complete newbie needs help

Post by hicountryrider »

Thanks for the reply. I actually did both searches, text string and hex value, with no results. I'm running Win 7 64-bit. The Solitaire.exe was from the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Solitaire directory which is the 64 bit Program Files directory I believe.

I'll see if I can contact the tutorial's author and get more info. If I find a solution I'll post back.
If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.