HxD don't save my edition

Help on how to use HxD.
Andreasline

HxD don't save my edition

Post by Andreasline »

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to clear the dirty bit of my san disk 64gb mini sd card (exFAT), and i already know that i have to change the dec offset 106 of the VBR.. So i edit the bit "02" to "00" and then i save! Everything normal, my problem is that in fact i didn't saved anything because when i exit the program and start again, the "02" is still there! Please someone help me to solve this problem in order to use my card again! Thank u very mutch!
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD don't save my edition

Post by Maël »

That is indeed mysterious. Maybe this is caused by some driver or software that undoes the edit.
Usually if writing is not possible you should get an access denied error. Are you opening HxD as administrator? Are you opening the physical or the logical disk? Try to open the physical disk instead and see if things change. Be aware that the physical disk shows more data than the logical disk, so you need to be sure that you are still editing at the correct offset.

A good idea is also to try unmounting the disk before you edit it (in this case you will only see the physical disk in the disk open window, since the logical disk is unmounted). For that go into Windows Disk Management Console (Press Win+R then type diskmgmt.msc and press enter).

Finally, if all that does not help you could try another tool like dd for windows.

Good luck.
Andreasline

Post by Andreasline »

Hi again! Thanks for the help! Now that i've follow your steps, "access denied error" appeared to me... It means that is impossible to change anything in sd card or exist another possibility?
Best regards!
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Edit: see post below first.

Did you unmount it?

If yes and you started HxD as administrator, I am afraid I don't know what else you could do.

Well... you could try a disk editor under Linux, or you could try the Windows pre installation environment, also called Windows PE, to run HxD. It requires a little more effort, though.
WinPE has the advantage that usually it is less strict with access to drives.
And Linux usually is the same. You would just need to find a disk editor you can use under Linux (I don't have any special recommendation).

To get you started here are some pointers:
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I did a quick web search and found this link: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/manually-re ... -chkdsk/2/

I am not sure if that's what you referred to in your first post, but this link even has the idea of using a boot cd (Hiren's Boot CD).