Special highlighting of non-printable chars

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
Maël
Site Admin

Special highlighting of non-printable chars

Post by Maël »

All of the hex editors I have seen represent the 0x00 byte as a "." in the ASCII view column. It would be great if custom symbols could be selected for certain byte values. Either specific ASCII chars, but with custom foreground and background colors, or custom images. It would be a useful way to view the data.
norbinz

Re: Special highlighting of non-printable chars

Post by norbinz »

I don't need special highlighting, but I would like to be able to specify a different non-printable substitute character, rather than a period. It would also be nice to have a check box that causes characters 128-255 to be considered "non-printable".
Faalagorn

Post by Faalagorn »

Firefox uses a small boxes with the hex number inside it when it can't display certain characters :)
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Faalagorn wrote:Firefox uses a small boxes with the hex number inside it when it can't display certain characters :)
I didn't choose the post title very well, it's not only about non-printable characters, but also characters that should appear less prominent or get hidden so the characters you are interested in stand out more (for example when choosing ASCII instead of ANSI).