Fixed: "Acces is Denied" - Vista 64 - Floppy Disk

Bug reports concerning HxD.
Robespierre

Fixed: "Acces is Denied" - Vista 64 - Floppy Disk

Post by Robespierre »

Hi,

Thanks for this great tool.

I am trying to edit some bytes on a 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disk.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 530 PC, running Vista 64-bit Home Premium.

The floppy disk is formatted in MS-DOS 5.0 format.

I have opened the HxD.exe file using "Run as Administrator."

I open the floppy disk, not in read-only mode, so I can edit the bytes. I edit the bytes.

Then, when I go to save my changes, I get the HxD window reading, "The data will be written directly without a backup and changes cannot be undone. Save anyway?" I click on Yes.

Then another window pops up with the big "X" in a red circle. The window header reads, "HxD." The error message just reads, "Access is denied."

Is there any other security setting I need to change in order to be able to save to the floppy disk, or is this just not working?

Thanks again!
Maël
Site Admin

Re: "Acces is Denied" - Vista 64 - Floppy Disk

Post by Maël »

Thanks for your report. There are a couple of threads that report this problem already though.
Robespierre

Post by Robespierre »

OK, I see. Thank you.

I can edit bytes in sector 0, but not in the other sectors. Also, I tried the disk editor program called "Sectedit." The same problem happened with that program, too. (I could edit and save changes in sector 0, but in no other sectors).

So, is there any fix for this, or is there any planned?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre »

Thanks for you patience, Mael.

It looks like I am unable to edit the non-boot sectors of the floppy disk drive on my computer at this point. I have an old XP computer (which I just moved the floppy drive from to my Vista machine!) so maybe I will move the drive back to the old XP one and try the edits there.

-Robespierre
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

HxD 2.0 RC implements automatic unmounting and write locking of disks if possible, which should solve most of the access denied problems transparently.
You do not need to do anything special, simply edit a drive and save.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, since Windows Vista hard disk access is enforced in a more strict way, so it is impossible to fix this in general.
But especially for removable disks/thumb drives, it should work in many cases now.
If access still is denied, using a boot cd/DVD or a preinstall environment like WinPE will allow HxD to edit any disk, since those environments do not hinder any writes.

So, if you had problems like this in the past, try out HxD 2.0 RC.
https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetup.zip