Fixed: HxD doesn't show on desktop but in task manager

Bug reports concerning HxD.
zamoo

Fixed: HxD doesn't show on desktop but in task manager

Post by zamoo »

hi guys

i am using hxd to edit rigid_model_v2 files for my mods (total war: rome 2), and using HxD is refreshingly easy and i enjoy how smooth the tool runs.
however, since monday the program doesn't start properly anymore. instead, it does load for some seconds and show up in the task manager's processes tab, with an initial CPU usage of 25% (which doesn't change for as long as the program is 'running'). the program doesn't show on my desktop, though. either in the taskbar.

now i did of course search the web for a solution, but i couldn't find anything helpful. i tried this and that but in the end, i haven't been able to make the program run properly. (things i tried: start as administrator; run in compatibility mode; un- and reinstall, clean registry wich CCleaner, search for viruses with Avast AV).

the only thing i was not able to try is to restore windows, because i have no restore point (sorry for my bad english >_>).

i am quite sure that this is not a common HxD issue (since other modders told me their HxD is running properly), and i found several posts on the web that deal with the exact same problem but with a different program. however, i was just hoping someone could help me and give any (advanced) advice on how to fix it, since i really really want to work on my next mod (the people like my mods v_v), and using a different hex editor is no option for me :roll:

thanks in advice
helloworld_dot_c

Re: HxD doesn't show on desktop but in task manager

Post by helloworld_dot_c »

Delete or rename

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mael\HxD\HxD.ini

and start over. Had the same thing happening to me.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Thanks. That gives a good hint at what's going on. If you have the faulty ini file, please send it to me.
jbo_85

Post by jbo_85 »

It's a problem for files that contain a ' in the filename. The list with the recent files are messed up because of that and can get really big over the time.

small example:

Code: Select all

[\HistoryLists\RecentFiles\]
Count=4
Item0="'D:\1test\zzz'#39'test.dat'"
Item1=D:\1test\normal.dat
Item2="'D:\1test\normal.datD:\1test\zzz'#39'test.dat'"
Item3="'D:\1test\normal.datD:\1test\zzz'#39'test.datD:\1test\normal.datD:\1test\normal.datD:\1test\zzz'#39'test.dat'"
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Thanks for your input.

After some testing it turns out the minimal test case is this:
  • Start HxD (with an intact history list or an empty one or simply delete the ini file before starting HxD)
  • Open a file called

D:\1test\normal.dat
    (first file)
  • Open a file called

D:\1test\zzz'test.dat
    (second file)
  • Make sure to follow the opening order indicated in the steps before, i.e., open the file with the ' character after the file named with regular characters.
  • Close HxD and restart it.
  • The recent file list in the menu will now contain a buggy entry for the second file instead of the real filename.
  • Closing HxD will write this buggy entry to the ini file.
Creating an ini file with the following contents and then starting HxD will trigger the bug, too:

[\HistoryLists\RecentFiles\]
Count=2
Item0=D:\1test\normal.dat
Item1="'D:\1test\zzz'#39'test.dat'"
The bug turns this

Item1="'D:\1test\zzz'#39'test.dat'"
into this

Item1="'D:\1test\normal.datD:\1test\zzz'#39'test.dat'"
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I fixed that already in the development version, but more as a side effect of code rework that is more explicit in what it does.

The real problem was that Delphi does not initialize the Result variable for functions, eventhough you would expect that to happen for managed typed such as String.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3250 ... ion-result
http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=82266

So in short: fixed in the development version and available in the next version.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Fixed in HxD 2.0 RC.