Help Basic Partition Table Editing FAT16 1GB Flash Drive?

Help on how to use HxD.
KenO

Help Basic Partition Table Editing FAT16 1GB Flash Drive?

Post by KenO »

Hi,

I have a Good FAT16 1GB Flash Drive with corrupt Partition Table (PT). My problem is I am a beginner with No experience concerning Partition Table editing so have been searching for beginners articles, posts, tutorials...concerning this.

While I have found a number of excellent articles, none are for beginners. I recently read "How to use HxD as a Disk Editor to save Sectors as Binary Files by Daniel B. Sedory and decided to ask for help.

Since the FAT16 1GB Flash Drive can be setup as either a Floppy or HDD would like to choose the simpler option (am guessing it is the Floppy)

Appreciate help concerning what the correct entries are for a FAT16 1GB Flash Drive (a PT backup was never made). If you tell me how I can supply Screen Captures and photos for this 1GB Flash Drive.

Thanks

Ken
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Help Basic Partition Table Editing FAT16 1GB Flash Drive

Post by Maël »

You would probably have more luck asking the author of this article.

You could also try a tool called testdisk, which is made for fixing partition tables and file systems in general or recovering data. Not that easy to use, but easier than a hex editor.
KenO

Thanks, Basic Partition Table Editing FAT16 1GB Flash Drive?

Post by KenO »

Maël,

"You would probably have more luck asking the author of this article." I would but to date have not found a way to contact Daniel B. Sedory?

Since posting I have looked at some Flash and HDDs with HxD and agree with you, testdisk is "Not that easy to use, but easier than a hex editor"

What I am looking for is software that can read and edit HDD CHS information. Can you recommend any?

Thanks

Ken
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

If you just want to rebuild the partition table (and do not care for the data), you could use the inbuilt disk management software in Windows (see the beginning of this article):
http://classroom.synonym.com/usb-flash- ... 17713.html

This link has more information about potential solutions:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 1dfa0d2ab2

Otherwise you can search for "free partition manager" or "free partition recovery" and pick the software you like if the Windows one is not flexible enough.
KenO

Post by KenO »

"If you just want to rebuild the partition table (and do not care for the data), you could use the inbuilt disk management software in Windows" Correct do not care about the data. What version of Windows can do this? I am still using WinXP on an old P4 PC.

I have some Screen Captures of the CHS and other info I would like to share. Is it possible to insert directly in forum space? If yes what is maximum size for each and total size for 1 time?

Thanks again for the links and help!

Ken
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I am not familiar with partition table editing, so I wouldn't be much help to you, I am afraid, beyond the links and search terms I suggested.