Not sure what this code means

Help on how to use HxD.
NazoKutsu

Not sure what this code means

Post by NazoKutsu »

Trying to Hex Edit a file, I literally no nothing about hex editing about from what I've worked out by guessing, I'm now stuck and can't get any further, I'm trying to edit this file:

Code: Select all

EDivine Online....Programming..Scruffy...Artwork..Arvid..Teror..Laine..Sakura....Music..DwD..Chaos....Thanks to..Layered Tech..-tools....Staff..Scruffy..Aengie..Arvid..Teror..Laine..Mizzy..Sakura..Rexor..
I want to remove the "E" at the start but anytime I do it crashes.

I think this file is related to it as well:

DAT001.ID{614641:145:38:4284}

Does anyone have any idea what the second part means?
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Not sure what this code means

Post by Maël »

NazoKutsu wrote:Trying to Hex Edit a file, I literally no nothing about hex editing about from what I've worked out by guessing, I'm now stuck and can't get any further, I'm trying to edit this file:
Some general info: http://blog.mh-nexus.de/2014/12/how-to- ... ex-editor/
NazoKutsu wrote:

EDivine Online....Programming..Scruffy...Artwork..Arvid..Teror..Laine..Sakura....Music..DwD..Chaos....Thanks to..Layered Tech..-tools....Staff..Scruffy..Aengie..Arvid..Teror..Laine..Mizzy..Sakura..Rexor..
I want to remove the "E" at the start but anytime I do it crashes.
The "E" is probably not a letter but a number it is 45 in hexadecimal and 69 in decimal. It could be a length indicator or some other data. It's hard to say.

If the game really displays "EDivine" and not just "Devine" you can try to replace "E" with a space " ". Otherwise you would have to delete the E, but that would move all the following bytes. This works in a text file but not a binary file. Binary files usually are structured such that some data is expected at fixed positions. That's why overwriting is the default mode, because otherwise you probably will have to change many other places in the file, too.

Binary files are usually a mix of data and headers/pointers to data. So what you need to do is find header or pointers to other parts of the file, and update them, too, not just the data itself.
Fireboyd78

Re: Not sure what this code means

Post by Fireboyd78 »

Without the actual data to look at, there's no way to help you. Sorry.