Jumping to the next array element (of datatype selected in inspector) using cursors

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
Homer

Jumping to the next array element (of datatype selected in inspector) using cursors

Post by Homer »

In the hex column I'd like to be able to jump n bytes forward or backward with the cursor using Ctrl + -> resp. Ctrl + <- (control + left or right cursor key). n should be the size of the data in the current line of data inspector. If it's size is 1 or not present then n should be the size of the byte group. Jumping should not enforce to land on a byte group start but on a byte start. The current behavior to jump a nibble could be omitted or moved to Alt + -> resp. Alt + <-.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Jumping to the next array element (of datatype selected in inspector) using cursors

Post by Maël »

That's a good suggestion.

I thought about adding buttons to the data inspector to do this. The shortcut Ctrl+Right/Left will remain as is, but using Alt+Left/Right is a good option.
Homer

Re: Jumping to the next array element (of datatype selected in inspector) using cursors

Post by Homer »

To jump from word to word in my text editor or in this reply window I'm using Ctrl+Right/Left. So this would be the natural key for jumping wider than using the default Right/Left to jump one byte.
You could make it configurable if you can't agree ...
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

In programming environments for example jumping between several methods/functions works with Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down.
Several other shortcut choices would also be possible for jumping between higher level divisions into units.

Such a shortcut should also work universally, no matter if you are in the data inspector, the hex editor, the text or the hex column.
Ctrl+Left/Right already has various meanings. For example in text fields in the data inspector for jumping between words (as common for all text fields in Windows, as you noted already above).
So far you can double click on words on the text column, I haven't implemented jumping one word to the left or right yet, but that would be the logical extension.

Therefore overloading Ctrl+Right/Left would be problematic.