Feature Requests: Toolbar & Shortcut Customization + Option to skip file selection dialog when comparing

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
vertigo

Feature Requests: Toolbar & Shortcut Customization + Option to skip file selection dialog when comparing

Post by vertigo »

I see talk of a v2.0 over the past couple years or so, but I don't see it available as a download. Is it just a really long work in progress? Second, I want to thank the dev of this incredible program, which is not only a fantastic hex editor, but by far the best file comparison tool I've found, able to handle extremely large files with ease, whereas every other one I've tried just crashes or gives an error. And it's fast. So congrats on making an amazing program.

As for my requests, they're pretty simple and straightforward:

1) Add the ability to customize the toolbar, specifically to add the compare function to it for quick, direct access
2) Add the ability to customize shortcuts (e.g. change compare from Ctrl+k to something else; less important if first request is done)
3) Add an option to skip the file selection dialog window when comparing if two files are open in the program, and just automatically perform comparison on them, i.e. if I select two files in explorer and open them in HxD, then select compare, it should just compare those two files.
4) Add an explorer context menu item for comparing selected files, so two files can be selected, then right-click, select HxD > Compare (probably a good idea to at least offer the option to put all HxD entries under a submenu in that case, to keep from crowding the menu), and have it open the files and start the comparison right away.

5) This one is much more involved and, while it would certainly be useful, not quite as important: add the ability to compare multiple files against each other, so e.g. several files could be selected and sent to HxD for comparison and it would compare file 1 to file 2,3,4,..., then compare file 2 to file 3,4,5,..., then file 3 to file 4,5,..., and so on, and give a final report when done of which files are identical to which, perhaps even with the option to delete duplicates.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests: Toolbar & Shortcut Customization + Option to skip file selection dialog when comparing

Post by Maël »

The link is on the main site. Apparently nobody checks out the news section ;)

That's the download:
https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetup.zip
vertigo

Re: Feature Requests: Toolbar & Shortcut Customization + Option to skip file selection dialog when comparing

Post by vertigo »

Thanks :) The problem was that I was just googling "hxd" and clicking the link to the HxD page, skipping the main page. I'm guessing you've just added it to the HxD page, since I see it there now.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I'm guessing you've just added it to the HxD page, since I see it there now.
Yes, I just linked it on the HxD subpage as well (only works properly now). If you accessed the HxD subpage half an hour ago, it might not have worked.