Little Endian byte grouping

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
wpe

Little Endian byte grouping

Post by wpe »

I'm using the "View->Byte Group Size" feature. However, it seems it always assumes the data is Big Endian.

That is, 01 02 will be grouped as 0102, or 01 02 03 04 will be grouped as 01020304, and so on.

I wish there could be an option to let 01 02 be grouped as 0201, and 01 02 03 04 become 04030201.

I'm sorry if there is such a feature already. However, please bring the control somewhere close to the group size selection if this is the case.

--Thanks!
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Little Endian byte grouping

Post by Maël »

That feature doesn't exist yet, indeed.
If it will be added, then yes, close to the other byte grouping options.

You may want to check out the data inspector as well, which can show data in little or big endian.
wpe

Post by wpe »

Thank you for replying my questions.

Actually, that's my first time to play with HxD. I did noticed the little-/big- endian radio and thought that's what I'm looking for at that time. However, I tried it without any noticeable differences. I just realized how to use it when I read the 8-suggestions post minutes ago.

After selecting multiple bytes, the little-/big- endian selection radio does make a difference. However, it doesn't show the new interpretation in hex, and the decimal value is kind of useless for me. This is another feature can be added :)

Anyway, thank you very much for such a handy tool!

By the way, I was using the tool to review an Ethernet EEPROM content. Then, I realized another possible feature, display the word offset. The Intel document uses word offset for the EEPROM definition. For example, offset 01h is actually at byte offset 0x02. Although multiplying/dividing by 2 is not problem for me, having it displayed would be nicer.

Sorry that put many requests in a same post. Please let me know if you prefer to have separated posts.

Thank you again for your great work!
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

wpe wrote: 18 Jun 2018 20:05 After selecting multiple bytes, the little-/big- endian selection radio does make a difference. However, it doesn't show the new interpretation in hex, and the decimal value is kind of useless for me. This is another feature can be added :)
There is actually a checkbox right under the endianness radio buttons, to show numbers in hexadecimal.
You also don't need to select bytes, it suffices to just put the caret at the first byte of the sequence you want (and have no selection at all). The selection merely restricts the amount of bytes that are considered.
By the way, I was using the tool to review an Ethernet EEPROM content. Then, I realized another possible feature, display the word offset. The Intel document uses word offset for the EEPROM definition. For example, offset 01h is actually at byte offset 0x02. Although multiplying/dividing by 2 is not problem for me, having it displayed would be nicer.
Yes, please split this into a separate feature request. Thanks (and thanks for the appreciation :)
wek

Post by wek »

+1 to the original request.

Thanks for the great work, this is an amazing piece of software.

Jan