'Find all in files' binary search

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
Fireboyd78

'Find all in files' binary search

Post by Fireboyd78 »

One thing I would absolutely love for HxD to have that would make it much more useful to people like me, is the ability to search multiple binary files for a particular pattern of hex characters or a string.

Notepad++ is one of the only programs I know of that does this, but that's not a hex editor, and throws a LOT of false positives (even with escaped hex-character strings :/), and since HxD is my primary hex editor of choice, being able to do all of this inside of HxD would probably cause the space-time continuum to malfunction! :mrgreen:

While not a necessity, the ability to search for a partial-pattern (e.g. '00 ?? 11 ?? 22 33') would be nice, but definitely not a deal-breaker.

Thanks for all of your hard work!
nneonneo

Re: 'Find all in files' binary search

Post by nneonneo »

FWIW I wrote a tool a while back called "bgrep" which does exactly this (and even supports partial patterns & regex matching): https://github.com/nneonneo/bgrep. There are also similar tools (also usually named "bgrep") for this purpose.
Fireboyd78

Post by Fireboyd78 »

Maël, could you please let me know if this feature is something you would consider implementing? It would still be very useful to have. Thank you.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Both of these features are definitely things I'd like HxD to have.

Features are implemented depending on the time I have and what's most interesting right now (I did the opposite for too long, and it's not good to stay motivated).