Using Export

Help on how to use HxD.
djdan23

Using Export

Post by djdan23 »

Hi!.
I just download the latest version to be sure but the problem still exist (I think). Nice program by the way. I used it today, for the first time to look at the
fat system on an Micro SD card. I use "Edit/Select block" 0 to 2000h , length=1, in HEX. Then "File/Export/Editor View" to have a "TXT1.txt" file. Then I save a small file.txt file on the card to see the difference in the fat system and save again another one with the amount of byte, to compare. Work properly but, yes there is a but. The two files in compare windows are not what I see inside the files. When I drag or "File/Open" either of the file, I don't see the real things that i's on the file. I include 3 photos of the first sector. 1 is the Drive itself, 2 is the saved file, 3 is the file in your program. Could you tell me what's going on...... :wink: Thanks. (12-21-2018)
Attachments
1 Source drive (Micro Sd Kingston 16Gb) B.jpg
1 Source drive (Micro Sd Kingston 16Gb) B.jpg (208.97 KiB) Viewed 16422 times
2 TXT1.txt (Newly formated) B.jpg
2 TXT1.txt (Newly formated) B.jpg (176.44 KiB) Viewed 16422 times
3 TXT1.txt (Newly formated) in your program B.jpg
3 TXT1.txt (Newly formated) in your program B.jpg (194.1 KiB) Viewed 16422 times
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Using Export

Post by Maël »

My understanding of what you are trying to do is just approximate, but here it goes.

Exporting as "Editor view" means it exports everything as a "pretty printed" text file, so it looks similar to the display you see in the hex editor. It is however not a mere copy of the selected data, and as such will not be the original data. You can however view it in a text editor, which usually cannot show many of the bytes, such as 0-bytes.

Since the text is stored in UTF-8 encoding, it is preceded with a BOM "" or "EF BB BF" in hex.

If you want to extract a portion of a disk/file, do the following: select it, copy it (ctrl+c), create a new file, and paste the clipboard content. This will create an exact copy, and then you can save the file, if you wish.

Adding a "Save selection" command is planned.
djdan23

Post by djdan23 »

Thanks, that makes sense now.

If I may for the future "saving" :wink:
1: Saving all, like we see it on the screen
2: Saving all, but only the bytes (16 bytes per rows) (No offset, no address and no Decoded test)
3: Saving selected, like we see on the screen
4: Saving selected, but only the bytes (16 bytes per rows) (No offset, no address and no Decoded test)

Thanks for your helpful program.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

djdan23 wrote: 22 Dec 2018 14:07 1: Saving all, like we see it on the screen
3: Saving selected, like we see on the screen
Exists already: Export as "Editor view." No selection = all file.
djdan23 wrote: 22 Dec 2018 14:07 2: Saving all, but only the bytes (16 bytes per rows) (No offset, no address and no Decoded test)
4: Saving selected, but only the bytes (16 bytes per rows) (No offset, no address and no Decoded test)
The "Save selection" would save the binary data, pure. If you want to save the whole file, use "Save as", or select all (ctrl+a) before using "Save selection".
It would not be 16 bytes per row since it's a raw binary file. If you need hex pairs (i.e. a text file), please clarify the use case. There is Intel Hex or Motorola S-Records that can be used to transfer data in text format.