Please remove "Decoded text" from editor view

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
mwat29

Please remove "Decoded text" from editor view

Post by mwat29 »

Please could you remove this "Decoded text" or make it optional to use. It is quite unnecessary and makes it more difficult to use when I like to use a simple interface without anything extra.

Maël
Site Admin

Re: Please remove "Decoded text" from editor view

Post by Maël »

What's so difficult about it? I like it and it indicates clearly what the column shows. A column header is nothing unusual.
mwat29

Post by mwat29 »

It's distracting in use when editing or viewing data and had to uninstall the newest version because of that, so will continue using the older version. There is no need for the header as it doesn't give any useful information.

But in the hex view on the left, column headers are necessary.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I still didn't see a reason why it's distracting.
mwat29

Post by mwat29 »

If you can put an extra option to the View menu where the text can be disable or enabled, it would be best.

Tried to work with the version that has this "Decoded text" in the editor but can't use it anymore as the text draws attention to the top and have had to be extra careful when inspecting text because of that. For example, when editing files containing text characters it caused extra work.

And when working with hex editors the simplest view is the best without distracting elements.
j7n

Post by j7n »

That is an unusual complaint. I understand wanting to replicate the interface of another editor, but getting rid of this label won't get you there. You have a hex editor. Open hxd32.exe and edit the text string with it. :lol:
mwat29

Post by mwat29 »

I could probably edit the .exe file itself to replace the text with spaces, but will not do that because don't want to break anything. And to be more precise, a more correct header would be e.g. "Decoded content", "Decoded character" etc because the content is not just text.

Or if there could be a commercial version of HxD for a reasonable price without this "Decoded text" label and more customizations, I would be willing to pay for that. This is so good software otherwise and has helped to solve a lot of problems, so it would be worth the price.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Btw, I just got a spam detection bounce from GMail for the automatic forum reply notification. Can you see if it was tagged as spam?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Regarding the issue.

The correct title is "Decoded text" because that's what the interpretation is, even if it might not always be the true nature of the data. A reason for the title is that I plan to add other ones. Assembler listing comes to mind.

I'll see what option can be added, but it would be problematic / hard to explain, because of the mentioned future intention. The column header would be missing then, and it will not be obvious if it is just an assembler listing in a text file or the actual translation to assembler interpretation as a result of decoding a binary.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I just found an older feature request that shows leaving out the text column header is confusing:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=894
Fireboyd78

Post by Fireboyd78 »

Maël wrote: 06 Feb 2019 15:49 I just found an older feature request that shows leaving out the text column header is confusing:

https://forum.mh-nexus.de/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=894
As a veteran user of HxD, I really do not like the new "Decoded text" header. This is the second time now I've had to use HxD to edit HxD to remove the text from the string table.

Please add an option under the "View" tab to disable this. It can be enabled by default, but we should be able to disable it if we want to without resorting to hacks. There's an open space just below "Fit to window width" that would be perfect for a checkbox called "Show 'Decoded text' header".
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I'll add an option for the release after this one, because I would have to contact translators again for the UI change.