aesthetic bug v2.3.0.0

Bug reports concerning HxD.
RandomInternetGuy

aesthetic bug v2.3.0.0

Post by RandomInternetGuy »

Hi,

There is an aesthetic bug with the new version. When the cursor is on the minimize/maximize/close button of the window title bar, there is no default highlight (red on close button). Well, there is one when you move the cursor over those buttons but it disapear as soon as the cursor stop moving. The bug is the same on all other child windows like about/options/compare dialogs. But it works you know, it's just an uncommon behavior. I'm on windows 10.

BTW, thanks you for the best hexadecimal editor for so many years.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: aesthetic bug v2.3.0.0

Post by Maël »

I tested the following under Win10 (not the latest update):
Opened HxD 2.3, clicked on the help menu, then info. Moved the mouse over the X button in the Info windows' title bar, let it rest there until the tooltip showed up.
The X button got highlighted and the highlighting stayed until I moved the cursor away.

Same for the other windows I tested.

Maybe it's another software causing this issue? Have a screenshot?
RandomInternetGuy

Hxd is the only software having this behavior on my computer so I'm not sure about another software causing this issue. This is my dev computer so I only have well known applications installed. Nothing suspicious, no malware, no virus.
I can't attach the video file because apparently it is too large (1.06 Mo). Sorry for the imgur link but there it is...

https://i.imgur.com/q2w0X0b.gif
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Thank you. I'll see if it happens with an updated Windows 10. Is this the installed or portable version of HxD, 64 bit or 32 bit?

Is there a difference when a virus scanner or similar software is on/off?
RandomInternetGuy

It is the installed version 64 bit.
I have the latest Windows 10 version 1903.
No, disabling the antivirus doesn't change anything.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Still no luck. Can you show me how you open HxD? What's the screen resolution? Maybe it's some focusing issue, because the windows are just standard ones, nothing special or adapted.
Did version 2.2.1 cause the same issue?

Oh, is it the default Windows theme? Do you use a second/multi-monitor setup (I don't see the taskbar). If yes how many monitors and what resolution?
RandomInternetGuy

No one else commented on this behavior, I gonna think I'm one lucky bastard, lol.

What do you mean by "how you open HxD"... I use the context menu in File Explorer to open a file directly or I use the shortcut in Start Menu, and I even test the executable itself. Same behavior for all.

I have a laptop with no other monitor connected to it. The resolution is 1920 x 1080.

I use the dark theme mode but I did test the default one and it's the same.

I don't have the previous version anymore and I can't find it.

Can you make a program (with the same development environment you use for HxD) with just a window and nothing else so I can test that simple executable. That way we could be fixed about everything else. If that simple thing fails, the problem could be on something specific on my side. It be unlikely be it worth giving that simple test a try.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Can you make a program (with the same development environment you use for HxD) with just a window and nothing else so I can test that simple executable.
It's an empty project just with one window: https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/Project2.zip

I tried with other resolutions, but the VM (with Win10) can't reach the highest one, I guess it doesn't make a difference if you just use 1024x768?

I'll post a link to the previous version, later.
RandomInternetGuy

In fact yes, the resolution seems to be the culprit. In display settings - Scale and Layout, my recommended option is 125% (I never play with those options and just keep the default) but if I change it to 100%, the HxD window behavior is normal. So the problem is not on my side but something that could affect scaling setting other than 100%

There's some way that could make HxD high DPI friendly. IMHO, that's what is missing in HxD and it might be helpful to have a less blurred window on high-DPI displays.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... on-windows

I won't stop using HxD for that but the UI could benefit from being DPI aware. That being said, I know nothing about how this is done.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Implementing high DPI-awareness is not trivial, because it requires a new set of icons, fixing some libraries that have DPI bugs, including the VCL (dev tool library) etc.

But the window buttons should still not fade strangely, like you described. Did the project2 thing show the same behavior?
Does it also happen when you reduce the screen resolution, maybe to 1024x768, yet still have a scaling of 125%?
RandomInternetGuy

Yes project2 did the same thing.
No matter which resolution I try, when the scaling is at 100% the HxD window is perfect, but when the scaling is at 125% it has that weird behavior.

Anyway, if you have other questions or tests to do, I'll keep an eye on this post.

Have a nice day.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Oh, that's a Delphi VCL issue then, maybe there is a fix in new versions.

I'll keep you posted.
RandomInternetGuy

Just a little clarification (it was probably obvious though), when I say 125%, it means anything above 100%.

Well yeah, if it's as simple as a library update that would be great.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I can finally reproduce it, not sure why I didn't see it before, probably because everything looked huge at this scaling.