Done: HxD: group columns together

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
lordcanty

Done: HxD: group columns together

Post by lordcanty »

Hi, first of all thanks for this awesome program. I've been looking for a light, non-bloated hex editor capable of handling big files (+1GB) and this is by far the best and fastest, and even free. Very impressive!

Could you implement some option to group several columns together? I often use hex editors to read headers and such, so I think it would improve readability a lot. For example, instead of:
0F 54 5A 58 5A 00 01 04
I find much easier to read (to identify offset pointers, values, etc) like this:
0F54 5A58 5A00 0104

Maybe you could add some config option to change how many columns are grouped together (1=none, 2 like my example, 4...).

Another (much minor) request: could you add some option to turn off the first line ("offset / column numbers / ")? While I browse data sometimes it's a bit distracting, though it's not too important.

Thanks a lot!
Maël
Site Admin

Re: HxD: group columns together

Post by Maël »

Hi lordcanty,
thanks for the kudos!
lordcanty wrote:Maybe you could add some config option to change how many columns are grouped together (1=none, 2 like my example, 4...).
In a couple of days I'll release a new beta version of HxD that contains this functionality (I already implemented this some time ago in my development version).
lordcanty wrote:Another (much minor) request: could you add some option to turn off the first line ("offset / column numbers / ")?
I'll make an option, though not for the coming version as it is nearly complete and soon ready for beta stage.
lordcanty

Post by lordcanty »

Thanks a lot, grouping columns is the only feature I was really missing. I can't wait! :D
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Done in actual beta version (see download section)
lordcanty

Post by lordcanty »

Thanks, works great as expected.

One thing, seems changed settings in Options->View tab aren't applied until you restart the program, unlike when you modify them in the view menu. Is this a bug or the intended behavior?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

They should be applied for new windows, old windows keep their view settings, the view menu sets options for each window individually.