Block cursor and/or having a visual helper

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
mwat29

Block cursor and/or having a visual helper

Post by mwat29 »

There are two types of improvements I would like to see in HxD:

One would be a visual helper like shown in this picture. The background and foreground colors should be fully customizable and this helper could be turned on and off depending on the user needs.

Second improvement would be to use a block cursor. The background and foreground colors of the block cursor should also be customizable. Sometimes it is very hard to locate the place where the cursor is.

These two should be optional to use, so you could use the normal cursor if none of these are needed.
example.png
example.png (161.85 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
mwat29

Re: Block cursor and/or having a visual helper

Post by mwat29 »

Here is an example of the block cursor I mean. It doesn't necessarily have to be a cursor, the cursor could be as it is now, but the background would be some color that could be chosen by user if want to easier locate the cursor position. Highlighting may be the correct word for this.

Highlighted character should also then be shown on the right where the characters are shown.
blockcursor.png
blockcursor.png (233.96 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

I think highlighting the column and row in the header would be easier on the eye, like in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=1268#p1268

Regarding the block cursor, there could be an option to set the cursor width, which defaults to two pixels now.
mwat29

Post by mwat29 »

You are right, this kind of highlightning is better (if this is what you mean):
highlight row column.png
highlight row column.png (159.64 KiB) Viewed 9157 times
Paxtez

Post by Paxtez »

+1 This is a really nice idea