Done: HxD: show values for highlighted data

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
mhurley

Done: HxD: show values for highlighted data

Post by mhurley »

It would be nice if HxD would show the values of highlighted data with the option of showing as little-endian, big-endian, or both.

Values should be shown in either decimal or binary. The former to make data validation easier, and the latter to help with validating flag fields.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

You mean a kind of data-inspector?
mhurley

Post by mhurley »

If I highlight [4B 23 10 22] I would expect something like

BE: 1260589090
LE: 571482955

I did a DWORD above, but it shouldn't matter what size chunk i highlight -- maybe max out at 8 bytes.

These would be handy to have in the status bar with options to pick which one or both to show.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

well, I think a data inspector/interpretor would be okay (a kind of floating window).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Floating (dockable) data-inspector would be great. Perfect I'd say if it displayed many different interpretations of the highlighted data; binary, decimal (8, 16, 32, 64), float (32, 64)...
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Yes, that is what I had in mind.
This will either be available in version 1.8. (version 1.7 to come in 1-2 weeks) or in a small update to version 1.7.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

If you're looking for a fantastic new feature to add to this terrific hex editor, this one would be highest on my list!

I don't want to seem pushy, I love this editor and use it on a regular basis.

Many thanks.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

This feature will definitely make it into version 1.8.
Currently though I'm pretty busy for the next two month, so I'll try to have it done by the end of the year.
aho

Post by aho »

Ye, a data inspector would be really great. The way it is now HxD is pretty useless to me. Very nice and compact, but completely useless. :)

I evaluated a dozen hex editors these days and the half of em is missing this essential feature (or they support it but the mouse wheel doesn't work, or it costs 50$, or drag'n'drop doesn't work, or there is no file compare etc).

For me it's a complete mystery how something like that can be missing. After all you need it all the time for the most common hex editor task: cross-checking files with the specs and reverse engineering of parts where the specs are lacking/vague.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Currently I'm working on the 1.7.2 stable which is to be out in January.

A donation would be an incentive for me to spend more time on this project/feature, have a look at the top of the page, there: http://mh-nexus.de/downloads.php?product=HxD
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Just adding my support for the idea.
A data inspector/interpretor would be great for this product.
I am always on the lookout for a lightweight fast HEX Editor and the above is the only feature missing from an otherwise great program.
Zink

Re: HxD: show values for highlighted data

Post by Zink »

Hi,

First I would like to thank you for such a great program. It's almost the hex editor of my dreams :). One of the features it's missing is the value show/editor. Of course I don't want to urge you in any way, but I would like to kindly ask: can you say when we could expect this feature to be implemented?
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

There will be a bug-fix version 1.7.6.4 in the next weeks.

A data inspector is planned for version 1.8 but I cannot make a prognosis when it will be released, this depends a lot on my free time of which I currently don't have much.

But I can tell you that I have a prototype that mostly works (but needs integration and further testing).
Zink

Post by Zink »

I will wait patiently then, thanks for the answer.
rc-flitzer

Post by rc-flitzer »

Hello!
I just wrote another posting before I discovered this thread. So I just want to focus the attention onto the other idea described in that posting. It's a simple version of a data inspector, showing the value of the current marked byte sequence in status line. It's quite intuitive: you mark some bytes, look below and got your integer value visible in decimal form. For me it would be more useful than a floating inspector window.
It could be configurable to show the kind of conversion you currently want to have: integer (LE, BE), float, ... The length of inspected bytes (byte, word, dword, ...) depends on the number of marked bytes. E.g. a word if you mark 2 bytes, or a dword when marked 3 or 4 bytes.