Won't Do: ClearEdit: Open/Save with encoding

Wishlists for new functionality and features.
alkisg

Won't Do: ClearEdit: Open/Save with encoding

Post by alkisg »

Hi Mael,

It would be really useful to include the following two options in ClearEdit:
1) Open a file using a user-defined encoding (non ANSI/Unicode), and
2) Save a file using a user-defined encoding (non ANSI/Unicode).

It would only require a call to MultiByteToWideChar on opening and a call on WideCharToMultiByte on saving.

E.g. I often want to open an HTML file using windows-1253 and then save it using iso-8859-7. I couldn't find a free editor that supports this, so ClearEdit will be my favorite editor if you implement it! :D

Regards,
Alkis
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Okay, will add that.
New release of ClearEdit will be later, ATM I am working on HxD.
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Will be added sometime for release 1.8
alkisg

Post by alkisg »

If you like to see some code for the open dialog manipulation or the installed charsets, http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/index.php has support for this... But as an editor, it's not as good as ClearEdit!!! ;)

Maël, please delete the duplicate post, I got an error
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
and I thought the post function wasn't working...

Regards,
Alkis
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

alkisg wrote:If you like to see some code for the open dialog manipulation or the installed charsets, http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/index.php has support for this... But as an editor, it's not as good as ClearEdit!!! ;)
Thanks for the link. There were some issues when converting from Unicode to codepages and back. My problem at the moment is lack of time, so I didn't come to sorting it out yet.
alkisg wrote: Maël, please delete the duplicate post, I got an error
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
and I thought the post function wasn't working...
That is probably because my website is moving to another hoster (BTW I got the same error when posting). I hope they'll finally hand over the domain.
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Won't Do: ClearEdit: Open/Save with encoding

Post by Maël »

ClearEdit is only used internally now, no future version will be published.
alkisg

Post by alkisg »

OK Maël no problem, thanks for taking the time to close the topic.
I've moved to Linux and I terribly miss HxD...
I hope you ditch Delphi soon and move to C++/Qt or something! :lol:
Maël
Site Admin

Post by Maël »

Hi Alkis!

Moving to Linux and C++ is what I expected you would do one time or another. I use C++/Qt occasionally and like the elegance of the framework, but I still prefer the user experience of Delphi built apps. The GUI fits really well into the OS and is snappy.
So I'm not going to ditch Delphi, especially not for any major project I'm working on, since it would require lots of time for rewriting and lots of new testing etc. without any noticeable progress to users during this period.

I'll rather focus on enhancing HxD. That's also why ClearEdit had to go, it wasn't fast enough because of SynEdit and a rewrite of major parts would have been necessary to fix that. Besides, there are many text editors out there. On the other hand I think HxD can become pretty nice (I have so many ideas floating around since years, if it were just possible to implement them faster ... :-).