Bit-Copy of Compact Flash Card

Help on how to use HxD.
Jackyl71

Bit-Copy of Compact Flash Card

Post by Jackyl71 »

I recently had an issue with the 128M CF card in my iPaq 3765. A failed write operation locked it up and afterwards, it kept asking me to format it before attempting to use it again.
I tried several recovery programs, but they were mostly geared around photos or files that use compression techniques, making those files easy to rebuild. However I am missing my text files.

SO... What I wanted to do was to simply make a 128M file dump of the physical CF media. Shouldn't be an issue using HxD... Open the physical drive, and either copy/paste or export...

Now the issue: I can open the drive without any problems, but when I attempt to copy or export (or even scroll around more than a few pages), I get a 'device I/O error'. Same goes if I am just trying to SEARCH for a text string (would at least tell me if the data is still there).

SO... Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem? Am I scrolling to fast through the very LARGE amount of data in the table, that it cannot communicate fast enough with the CF card? Is it simply too much information to try to copy/paste at one time?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jackyl71
Maël
Site Admin

Re: Bit-Copy of Compact Flash Card

Post by Maël »

Jackyl71 wrote:SO... What I wanted to do was to simply make a 128M file dump of the physical CF media. Shouldn't be an issue using HxD... Open the physical drive, and either copy/paste or export...
You could also just use File|Save as...
Jackyl71 wrote:Now the issue: I can open the drive without any problems, but when I attempt to copy or export (or even scroll around more than a few pages), I get a 'device I/O error'. Same goes if I am just trying to SEARCH for a text string (would at least tell me if the data is still there).
If that's the full error message, it's hard to tell what is the cause. Usually you get a CRC error when the drive is damaged, here it might be a driver problem or software that blocks access to the drive. You could try reading it from another pc.

Another alternative is to try dd for Windows.
Jackyl71 wrote: SO... Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem? Am I scrolling to fast through the very LARGE amount of data in the table, that it cannot communicate fast enough with the CF card? Is it simply too much information to try to copy/paste at one time?
The speed shouldn't be a problem.